Headers ignoring template

This is the place to share H&M templates and utilities with other users. Topic templates can be posted as text attachments (*.txt) or in the posting itself between

Code: Select all

and 
tags. Print manual templates (*.mnl) are digital and can only be posted as attachments. Utilities and multiple files can be posted in ZIP archives. Please include plenty of comments so that users understand what you're doing! Registration is required to access this forum.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Graeme Webb

Headers ignoring template

Unread post by Graeme Webb »

Good day,

I'm trying to create a PDF copy of a H&M file. However, whenever I publish the doc, heading 1 ignores any settings I try to apply to it regardless of any styles I set in the H&M file or the Printer Manual Designer.

From what I recall, the Manual Designer's headings take precedence when publishing right?

I have verified that the Edit Dialog toggle option between Screen/Print Manual View is enabled.

Any guidance would be much appreciated,
Graeme
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Headers ignoring template

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Graeme,

Heading1 will only get applied in PDF when it is used in the body of your topics. Topic headers only send their plain text to the PDF. Their formatting es defined on a topic level basis by the PDF template, by the definitions for the six supported levels in the Topics and Table of Contents sections. This is done like this so that you can have different formatting for the topic headings for each level in the PDF.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Laini Giles

Unread post by Laini Giles »

Hi Tim-

On a related note to this, I've been assigned to a new project, and the template was already built before I took it over. I'm trying to make it more readable, and one of the problems it had was that the Heading 1's were showing up smaller than the lower-level topics in the PDF.

I think I managed to fix most of that by tinkering with the .mnl file. I adjusted the sizing and got rid of the hideous numbering that was just cluttering things up. However, I'm still having issues in that I can't get rid of the basic heading text being sent to the file by Help+Manual.

Meaning, even on pages where I've added the heading within the text of the page, the tiny Heading 1's are now showing up in ADDITION to the larger Heading 1's that I've created.

Please help!
Thanks!
Laini Giles
Tim Green
Site Admin

Meaning, even on pages where I've added the heading within the text of the page, the tiny Heading 1's are now showing up in ADDITION to the larger Heading 1's that I've created.
The problem there is that you have added the heading in the body of the page. Just delete those, they are redundant and will always create a second heading. Instead, you just need to edit the template to make the headings larger there -- that is where they get formatted for PDF. Edit the Topic section and then edit the six heading levels to format the heading text the way you want it for topics on each level.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Laini Giles

Hi Tim--

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I only tested a few topics with headings within the topic frame. THOSE topic headings are the ones that are acting correctly, and are sizing according to the specs that I set in the .mnl file.

However, all the other topics (with only the Heading 1 titles set up outside the frame) are still small, as they are also doing in my test topics (the extra small ones that are appearing). I feel like I'm very close to a solution, but am still not sure what else to tweak.

Thanks,
Laini
Tim Green
Site Admin

Laini Giles wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:20 pm I feel like I'm very close to a solution, but am still not sure what else to tweak.
You just need to format the templates for the individual six levels in the Topics section of your PDF template.
I only tested a few topics with headings within the topic frame. THOSE topic headings are the ones that are acting correctly, and are sizing according to the specs that I set in the .mnl file.
That is just a coincidence that your formatting of the headings within the topics is similar. The settings in the .mnl file cannot have any effect on anything inside the topic frame.

My guess is that at least in those topics, and possibly in all of them, you have turned off the separate topic header, which is needed for proper results in PDF. Click on the gear icon in the top left corner of the topic editor and make sure that "Topic has a separate header" is selected for each topic.
Regards,

Private support:
Laini Giles

Thanks, Tim.

You were right. It took a little more tweaking, but that's got it.

Laini
Laini Giles

Hi Tim--

Turns out I still need your help. The original solution worked for topics that are at the top of the hierarchy, but as the subtopics start nesting, the heading sizes on those Heading 1s automatically get smaller, to the point where they are the same size as the Heading 2s, 3s, 4s, etc.

Could I send you my template and a PDF or our file so you can let me know what I'm doing wrong? I've checked the topics, and I have "Topic has separate heading" selected too.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Laini Giles wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:18 pmCould I send you my template and a PDF or our file so you can let me know what I'm doing wrong? I've checked the topics, and I have "Topic has separate heading" selected too.
Yes, please do, as I do not really understand what you are describing here. :? However DON'T send the PDF, that doesn't help because you can only see the results, not what is causing it. Just send a sample project and the .mnl template file, then I can create the results myself.

Please send a single-file .hmxz project. To do this select Save As.. in the File menu and choose the first option for Help Project (single file storage). This packs everything into a single compressed file. After that you can remove any topics not needed for the demo and send just the .hmxz file. Mail it to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @).
Regards,

Private support: