torn page with shadow

This is the place for questions on using Impict, Help & Manual's integrated screenshot editor and enhancer.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Bob Fisk

torn page with shadow

Unread post by Bob Fisk »

greetings all-
pardon me for ignorance, but I cannot for the life of me find out how to make a screenshot with a torn paper edge and a drop shadow- any help much appreciated.
(The info I could find indicated it was not possible (transparent bacground to torn paper), but the help function graphics in Impict have it... and you wouldn't do ithat if I can't, I hope? :wink:
(and if it's not possible in Impict, I'd be interested in how to, without going via PhotoShop)
all the best-
-Bob
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Bob,

In Impict itself the capture function is quite basic, you apply the torn paper edge effect after capturing. Here's how:
  1. Make your capture and click on the image in Impict to make sure that the background image is selected (you will see a dashed line and small resize handles around the entire image).
  2. In the drop-down list of the Shape Tool select "Custom". Then click on the Mask Editor button. Now you can select any of a large number of effects, including lots of torn paper edge effects, from the list on the right. Click on OK to confirm your choice.
  3. Now you need the shadow. Select "Drop Shadow" in the Shadow Tool, then adjust the settings for your shadow.
  4. Finally, click on the Auto Adjust Size tool (next to the Zoom tool in the Toolbar) to tidy up so that the image and the canvas both have exactly the same size.
The great advantage of adding your effects like this is that they are non-destructive -- the entire original image is still there and you can always change the effect, add different effects or turn the effects off entirely. You just need to remember to save a working copy in Impict's own .IPP format for editing. Then you can use the Export As... function in the File menu to save the versions for insertion in your project.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Bob Fisk

Unread post by Bob Fisk »

Hi there, Tim-
Many, many thanks.
I realise now I must have chosen/highlighted the wrong thing when dropping shadow (as I'm sure you understand, I got a shadow around the white square 'underlying' the torn bit). Learning by doing, indeed.
Much appreciated!
-Bob