"Connecting WinHelp to VB & C++"...does that i

This section is for programmers. Please use it for all discussons on interfacing help with your applications and related subjects.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Michael Schwarzl

michellepace

"Connecting WinHelp to VB & C++"...does that i

Unread post by michellepace »

Hi there,

The help file I am about to write is for a program written in C (not C++). Is it possible to still connect my help file to a program written in C?

Thanks in advance, Michelle

PS The IDE the developers program in is called "Borland C++ Version 5", but it is definitely C code that they code in.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Michel,

Basically any Windows program can make calls to CHM files, it is the standard Windows help format and has been since Windows 98. There is a standard API that is documented in detail in the help file included with Microsoft HTML Help Workshop (the CHM compiler package). Just start HTML Help Workshop and open the help to display it.

How the calls to the API are made varies a little depending on the programming language. However, if you are using a C compiler for Windows there is bound to be some documentation in it describing how to make calls to CHM files, since that is the standard help format.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.