With some child chm's the master TOC does not unfold

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Baum&Help

With some child chm's the master TOC does not unfold

Unread post by Baum&Help »

Hi,

In a modular project calls by index to topics in child chm-files do show up, but the TOC of the master does not unfold the addressed child topic.
Strangely enough it does work by chm files from third parties we include.
We compile the master with .ali and .h files.
What can we do to solve this problem?
André van den Boogert
Realworld Systems
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Re: With some child chm's the master TOC does not unfold

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Is the TOC of the child file merged into the master CHM? It's possible to merge the content of a child file only, but not the TOC. Topics would be available when addressed by a link, but the TOC will not change if the topic is not referenced by the TOC.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Baum&Help

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I get the feeling I'm doing something wrong, because I don't understand the question. We include the child .chm-files as shown below, and add to the extended .hhp-settings .alias- and .h-files that include the context id mappings.
This procedure works for the third party files, i.e. the master TOC is opened where the child .chm is inserted, but it does not work for our own projects.
Please advise the best solution.

Regards,
André van den Boogert
orcbookmarks_clip0001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
André van den Boogert
Realworld Systems
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

You merge a CHM - has that been created with Help+Manual or with another tool? If you have the H&M source of the child project, we recommend to reference the the H&M project file instead of the CHM.

To make TOC merging in CHMs work, Help+Manual must know exactly how the TOC file of the child CHM is named. The internal TOC file is a file with the extension ".hhc". When H&M creates a CHM, the internal HHC-file is always named after the output file. A CHM called "ORCAReleaseNotes.chm" will have an internal TOC called "ORCAReleaseNotes.hhc". When you include a CHM file for run-time merging, H&M assumes the same rule, it will silently reference a TOC file "ORCAReleaseNotes.hhc". If the TOC in the child CHM is named differently, however, it will fail.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Baum&Help

Hi,

Indeed, we included chm-files we generated with H&M. I don't understand the TOC mismatch, because all references to the .chm-filenames are the same.
Anyhow, we now want to incluce our own projects and merge them on compile time, which makes life easier. Thanks.
But for a proper understanding, it would be nice to know how the TOC name can be different if the filenames are the same.

André
André van den Boogert
Realworld Systems
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

But for a proper understanding, it would be nice to know how the TOC name can be different if the filenames are the same.
This won't happen with a CHM created from a project in Help & Manual unless you actually physically change the name of the CHM file in Windows Explorer after creating it. Otherwise Help & Manual will always match the internal file names to the name of the CHM output file.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Baum&Help

Hi,
Maybe that the names are matched case-sensitive?
André
André van den Boogert
Realworld Systems
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi André,

Windows is generally not case-sensitive, but it's still good practice to behave as if it were, because it can sometimes cause problems. In the same way, even though Windows can officially handle file names that contain special characters and spaces, I would always strongly advise against using either spaces or special characters in any file names on any operating system. It's just asking for trouble, particularly with old programs like CHM, which Microsoft has not really updated since it was released with Windows 98. The CHM system as a whole is extremely allergic to spaces and special characters in file names -- CHM files should never have spaces in their names, for example -- and also to long paths and any kinds of special characters in paths. For example, if the path to a CHM contains a # character and some other characters, the compiler will always crash.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.