Are PDFs 508 compliant?

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

MichaelE Brown

Are PDFs 508 compliant?

Unread post by MichaelE Brown »

I output our help to a PDF. To post the PDF to our client's web site, I need to ensure the PDF meets US 508-compliance requirements. Could someone point me to any info on this for H+M 5? I need to provide justifications, etc.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Are PDFs 508 compliant?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Michael,

Section 508 compliance for PDF is still on the Wish List. It is partially implemented but not yet activated because it is not working correctly yet, due to problems in the PDF engine. We are still working with the PDF engine programmers to resolve these issues and will activate the support for this as soon as the issues are resolved.

You can find our updated page on Help & Manual's section 508 compliance (accessibility) here:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/products_h ... ility.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
MichaelE Brown

Unread post by MichaelE Brown »

Thanks, Tim! I will probably resort to using Adobe Acrobat to get around other of my issues.
Laini Giles

Unread post by Laini Giles »

Hi Tim--

It's been a while. Thought I would see if the PDF engine issue has been solved. I've been checking in various places, and don't see whether PDFs are now Section 508 compliant. It's several years later, so I assume so, but you know what they say about that making an ASS out of U and ME.

Thanks!
Laini