Mixed up images in .chm and webhelp

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

TimeWriter

Mixed up images in .chm and webhelp

Unread post by TimeWriter »

I have a merged project containing several projects.

Because of some resolution issues I had to replace all the images wich I did in the merged project. (I just deleted the original image and pasted the new image, let H&M suggesting the filename)

After that, chm and webhelp do mixup some of the bitmaps, pdf output has no problems.

Any Ideas ?

regards,

Rinse
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Rinse,

What is probably happening is that you have image files with duplicate names in different locations. This can also happen if you have files with different formats and the same name -- for example image01.bmp and image01.jpg. Because of the way HM converts image files when you compile you also need to avoid this, as images will have different formats depending on the output format of your project, and files with the same names before the extension will also create conflicts.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
TimeWriter

how to post this bug

Hello Tim,

Thanks for answering this question.
it means that I have to work trough my manuals again renaming all the screenshots ;-(

It looks to me that is can be qualified as a bug. H&M does suggest filenames wich in the end cause naming conflicts.

Wat is the best way to post this issue ?

regards,

Rinse
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Rinse,

This is not a bug. Since HM allows you to place your images anywhere you want tit cannot reliably keep track of all the images you use. This might be possible within a single project but not in modular projects containing scores of sub-projects. This is covered in the chapter on managing graphics in the Basic Working Procedures section of the help.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
TimeWriter

Ok, not a bug, what about this nice feature ?

Hello Tim,

A bug or not, it should be a very nice feature if H&M could solve naming problems for me when building .chm and/or webhelp projects.

In my opinion there is a perfect place to solve this... H&M is able to convert bitmaps to a suitable format when building projects. If you extend that feature with a Get_a_Unique_name() function the problem would be solved.

regards,

Rise
Winsteps

Unread post by Winsteps »

Tim: "cannot reliably keep track of all the images you use."

But how about making sure that the suggested name is unique for all immediately accessible images? In other words, if there is a "clip0001. (jpg, bmp, png, ..)" in any folder specified currently to the HM compiler, don't suggest an image name starting with "clip0001".

If HM already does this, congratulations!