H&M inner XML to use in different doc_systems

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

VictorL

H&M inner XML to use in different doc_systems

Unread post by VictorL »

Hi!
I asked it before but now I'd like to make some desicions about it.
Using very range of possibilities H&M XML there can be (if one can...) solution to use taking a base XML and than insert it diferent non-native projects. I'll understand it. Saying to use a base tags as <para/>, <list/>, <picture/> they can be saved in differnt XML scheme maybe with powerful Oxygen editor and after... to process in Flare, DocBook, Framework etc.
The proble is many companies to have differnt doc_systems and they're complicated to insert part of text from H&M topic to insert in next doc_window.
As soon as possible the talk comes about your experince in this filed of solution.
Maybe H&M has its own tool to integrate inner XML for this task but I could search nothing at all for my sorry.
Thanks in an advance!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: H&M inner XML to use in different doc_systems

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Victor,

At the moment Help & Manual only works with its own XML schema. We may add import facilities for some other schemas later (for example from Docbook and DITA), but not export because that would mean stripping out too many features on export. If you want to use Help & Manual XML in other contexts you currently need to write the XML transformations yourself.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Thanks.
Tim Green wrote:If you want to use Help & Manual XML in other contexts you currently need to write the XML transformations yourself.
I made one book to select from native XML some tags with context inside but without language setups, variables and design things (fonts, colors, line's thikness etc.)
But with H&M XML it's difficult because there're many special ones as pictures as anchors etc. Saying I can't select a standart image tag as <imagedata/> as <imageobject/> I need to add <picture/> and many more...
I read the H&M XML help and decided if I begin to work with H&M XML it needs to include almost all your XML tags in array for parcing by a handmade program.
Other side your XML if it can be said classical although it's not SGML but so... If to use DITA scheme it needs to works with some inner complicated strucrure as forewards as main context etc.
Now it's an experince only but who knows :)
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Looking at H&M XML:

Code: Select all

<topic template="Default" lasteditedby="mr_xml">
  <title translate="true">Example</title>
  <body>
    <header>
      <para styleclass="CHAPTER"><text styleclass="CHAPTER" translate="true">Example</text></para>
    </header>
    <para styleclass="REGULAR"><text styleclass="REGULAR" translate="true">How I worked with XML</text></para>
  </body>
</topic>
01. Saying we need to get an above XML content.
02. Ignoring <topic/>, <title/>, <body/>, <header/> etc.
03. Next we meet the first <para/>.
04. Knowing inner styles we see first <para/> keeps the name of book's chapter.
05. Ignoring this <para/>.
06. Again we meet <para/>:

<para styleclass="REGULAR"><text styleclass="REGULAR" translate="true">How I worked with XML</text></para>
07. This <para/> keeps a needed text to get.
08. Deleting in a found <para/> string all useless symbols.
09. Finally we get the string which free from design parameters but keeps the content only:

<para>How I worked with XML</para>
10. Next we can insert it in any XML editor -> the errors won't be occurred.
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

After inserting snippet in a topic there occures the problem to see an inner structure of snippet inside of main topic.
If it is maybe some troubles because the all XML snippet's tags are in different file but not in XML file to process this time.
Tim, if it's not a secret can you tell how you plan to solve problem in future when topic has snippets inside?
Thanks a lot.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Victor,
VictorL wrote:After inserting snippet in a topic there occures the problem to see an inner structure of snippet inside of main topic.
If it is maybe some troubles because the all XML snippet's tags are in different file but not in XML file to process this time.
Tim, if it's not a secret can you tell how you plan to solve problem in future when topic has snippets inside?
Thanks a lot.
There is no "problem" to solve here. If you want to see the XML of the snippet just look at the original snippet file. The snippet is not part of the topic until you publish, it is a separate file. After you publish, it is no longer XML.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Tim Green wrote:If you want to see the XML of the snippet just look at the original snippet file.
Thanks :) Just a programer's trick like it occurred a link to external snippet to make a jump to this XML-snippet. Being processed it and that's fine.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Victor,

If the snippet is a topic in the current project you can jump to it with Ctrl+Click.
Regards,

Private support:
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Tim Green wrote:If the snippet is a topic in the current project you can jump to it with Ctrl+Click.
Thanks, Tim!
But I mean an external snippet like this.

<para styleclass="REGULAR"><snippet src="file::Agreements.xml" inline="false"/></para>
Your offer brings to below screensot message.
This time it needs to come along <para/> tag string and finding for example Agreements.xml to begin searching this XML-file on local PC disc but if we use an external terminal, a remote server or virtual machine... how many problems to access rights opening, copying etc this snippet file...
But one happy thing as a rule the programers can do everything as to access a remote server as to grant some rights to yourselves :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Victor,
But I mean an external snippet like this.
I know, that is why I emphasized that it only works with snippets that are topics. If you are using external snippets it is most efficient to manage them in a project of their own. See the section on "Managing snippets in a snippet project" in this topic in the help for details: Basic Working Procedures > Creating Topic Files > Reusing content with snippets
Regards,

Private support:
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Tim Green wrote:...Reusing content with snippets
OK.
H&M help wrote:It won't work across multiple projects or for XML files that are not part of projects
By external snippets working to need exploring all file's operations -> who created, where saved, who blocked etc... Maybe some tricks to rule of an external snippets by H&M tools?
Rendering PDF with help of a handmade program... very strange to see an empty PDF after point where external XML was inserted.
Saying...

<para>OK<para/>
<para>file: external XML<para/>
<para>...<para/>
The text from last <para/> tag is in final PDF away)...
Will be tracing it :?
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Hi!
If someone will be working with an external snippet you may insert snippet in a processing topic as not staright as paste.
This way is more difficult but everyting will be in one place only.
Other way is to open a remote snippet but with read_only parameters. This needs if an author opened this snippet file and works with it you can make some problems to kill the file content and block it too. After it some topics in H&M will be highlighted red and blocked for editing.
There's an alternative more way is to make one array with all your snippent's content as a light database. As you added new snippet your handmade program copies its content to an array etc. Then you can read all data from this aray too.
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Hi!
Tim, sorry for worrying but I can't catch something...
As I use external snippet to insert in working topic in which situations the working topic will be blocked by H&M?
Yesterday I wrote about problem like killing content, blocking files etc...
But this time I see wonder :roll: two different users working with one and only topic and programmer proccesses an external snippet to insert in topic for authors... but not a reaction from H&M's side... I see it can occure after saving project, pressing the buttons Refresh Project/Close/Publish... or else?
Maybe you open some secrets when H&M blockes topics to edit (all situations if you care).
Thanks in advance.
P.S. Will H&M version 6.4 kepp solution for DocBook and DITA as you wrote before?
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Waiting for a new official realese H&M... maybe, maybe something...