In fact the content independing from styles

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

VictorL

In fact the content independing from styles

Unread post by VictorL »

Hi!
As long as go we came to a milestone from which to need going straight, left or right (like an old farytale said)...
What do you think if same project content can wrap any styles the users need?
Shortly we can import any H&M styles from any project with a little help of botton Copy styles from... in Edit styles form.
But this thing make delete an old used project styles...
What a shot if need -> wrapping project text in any style saying with botton Copy styles from... but an old styles remain alive to use that anytime at all.
I see you can advise to rewrite styles from any project by every time we need it...
But maybe something other solution?
Thanks to all in advance!
P.S. How can export styles data (names, fonts, distances, spaces, frames use etc.) from H&M project?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: In fact the content independing from styles

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Victor,

You can currently only "export" styles by importing them to another project. The ability to merge styles on import instead of replacing the entire list may be added in a later version.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Thanks, Tim!
Tim Green wrote:The ability to merge styles...
All complications is to import styles for CHM but for PDF remaining as it is now...
Trying to use repository stampbling me upon... :mrgreen:
Idealogically to use repository I can select some project's styles... but it's very important... -> having a botton Remove you can delete one among styles and that's all...
Maybe something hidden or magically with repository...
P.S. Tim, is it possible to have "clear or clean" text withot any style when I'm in H&M project editor?
I know one can copy text from H&M editor, to paste in saying Notepad etc...
But by its own tools...
Try to remove styles in XML-editor of a testing topic makes it damaged...
Note it!
Tim Green
Site Admin

If you are using a repository you must edit the styles in the repository, not in the project.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Thanks!
Tim Green wrote:If you are using a repository you must edit the styles in the repository, not in the project.
That's the salt of earth... although... :?:
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

If you care please tell how to replace one style with differnt one by importing styles from another H&M project?
Some situations to be:
1. The styles one and other same but they have difference in spacing (to take for example); their names are same too.
When I used different style an old spacing remained as its working now.
To accept a new style I need to run on project and wrapping new style again to see like spacing changes.
As I see all styles chaghing is accepted at once...
Am I wrong?
2. What to do new styles with same parameters like old ones to changed them automatically?
3. If one style is parent -> by its parameters to create many other styles.
When it's changed -> all child styles are changed too but what can to do soluting it?
Maybe before changing styles to separate styles (children from parents) making them independent?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Victor,

You can't replace a single style by importing. Importing always replaces all the styles in the current project with all the styles from the other project.
Regards,

Private support:
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Hi!
Tim Green wrote:..single style by importing...
Tim, if you're kind tell please why H&M project has as normal styles (saying -> Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3 etc.) as a damaged ones too (saying -> Heading 1+, Heading 2+, Heading 3+ etc.).
If writer wraps used styles with another color or another font I see them to be reflecting with +...
But if all OK... not any steps to change styles in use ... but they have a plus (+) in their own names :x ...
I think it's in MS Word only :(
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Victor,

The Bold+ styles aren't "damaged". This display is a simple indication that the text and/or paragraph at the cursor has formatting attributes that are not included in the current style, i.e. they have additional manual formatting. You can test this easily: Apply a style to a paragraph, then manually apply an indent and the style name will be shown in the Bold+ format. The same happens when you format text bold, or apply a text style to some of the text within a paragraph. When the cursor is in that text it will show the style name in the Bold+ format. It is just information, showing you the formatting status of the current text.
Regards,

Private support:
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Hi!
Tim Green wrote:It is just information, showing you the formatting status of the current text.
Tim, OK with it but if you having style BodyText wraps it with Bold font and it shows BodyText+....
The questions is WHY if you dodn't do any (just applying BodyText to paragraph and all...) but it reflects as BodyText+...
That is the question -> no applying but style with plus (+) :roll:
Tim Green
Site Admin

VictorL wrote:The questions is WHY if you dodn't do any (just applying BodyText to paragraph and all...) but it reflects as BodyText+...
That is the question -> no applying but style with plus (+)
It depends on how you do it. If the paragraph already has manual formatting and you just click in the paragraph and apply a style then the manual formatting will not be reset and you will get the BodyText+ display. This is because manual formatting always has priority. It must, because otherwise manual formatting would not be possible. If you want to reset the manual formatting of a paragraph with a style you need to select the entire paragraph and then apply the style.
Regards,

Private support:
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Tim Green wrote:If you want to reset the manual formatting of a paragraph with a style you need to select the entire paragraph and then apply the style.
OK but why manual formatting if you have document in 800 pages?
You need in some minutes to change one style with other... manually it occupies hours... but editing style - some seconds...
but you're right if we are speaking about possibilities styles and non-styles only.
Tim Green
Site Admin

VictorL wrote:OK but why manual formatting if you have document in 800 pages?
This is generally up to you: If you use styles systematically from the start you will have a minimum of manual formatting. The exception is text imported from other sources other than RTF, which imports Word styles directly. When you import from HTML or CHM etc. the formatting is applied as manual formatting. Then you have to find ways to convert it to styles. See this chapter in the help for details.
Regards,

Private support:
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Well. I'll do as you advise :)