Link to 'Search' tab in a topic

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

zaneplove

Link to 'Search' tab in a topic

Unread post by zaneplove »

Hi

Is it possible to add a 'Search' box in a topic which links to the 'Search' tab, and displays results there as if they'd done it within the tab itself? Basically a mirror of that 'Search' box which executes the same function.

Thanks
Zane
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Link to 'Search' tab in a topic

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Zane,

This would be tricky because the search tab is an iFrame of its own and the links it generates automatically target the iFrame where the topics are located. For the Zoom search page to work it must be in a page of its own, because it works by reloading itself with a POST request in the URL, posting itself the query string. You could put a copy of the search page in an iFrame in the topic page, but the links in the search results wouldn't work without rewriting the output, because the topic frame target would not be reachable with the normal links. Also, once you did get it to work, loading a topic from the results would wipe out the search results, because it would load a new topic, eliminating the search page that would be inside the old topic.

The WebHelp skins in the Premium Pack get around these problems by putting Search in an additional, topic-sized tab on the right instead of the left. This tab can be undocked to a separate window by double-clicking on the tab.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
zaneplove

Re: Link to 'Search' tab in a topic

Unread post by zaneplove »

Thanks for the info Tim, I think I have Premium Pack 2 so will do some playing around.

Zane