Harmless actions

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

VictorL

Harmless actions

Unread post by VictorL »

Hi!

Down and down to H&M universal there're the questions the beginners to want knowing.

When we step a getting better actions over some of them meeting this excellence working method as an uncompressed project.

This one likes an open air to unlimit any user writing under H&M.

But for my sorry today very often knowing tool isn't knowing all main IT-domain.

This topic I'd like the beginners to be enlighten what can be if he or she makes some harmful for project.

First of all need to take an information about warning deleting project files to bring the project in a total destruction :?

What project files the users can't delete with any positions?

If that happened... what to do?

Maybe some of these risk files can be replaced with something or generated again?

Belive there's very main for any beginner to access in company's resources...

I mean to answer about damaging/deleting of below files:

table_of_contents.xml;

*.xsd;

*.xsl;

*.hmxp;

*.css;

any topic (*.xml) deleting with file manager but not from H&M.

Thanks for answer!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Harmless actions

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Victor,

Don't delete any project files manually. Just leave them all alone. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Thanks, Tim!
Tim Green wrote:Don't delete any project files manually. Just leave them all alone. 8)
Maybe some structural recommendations?

If some of project files were edited what to do?

All of these sentences arn't wish to steal your priceless time :wink: it's about how to tell these main things to beginners...

What source your recommend to study the beginners how H&M projec "lives"?

What is the beginning point of that?

I thinks it's about XML-project as whole body...

Maybe something from O'Really or SGML-XML structural notations?

I think I asked all clearly?

I couldn't find about it in H&M help... maybe searched badly :) ?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

VictorL wrote:Maybe some structural recommendations?
Yes. Don't touch the files manually unless you are an XML programmer and understand the Help & Manual XML schema.

The only file that never changes is the .XSD file, which is the XML schema. That must be included with every project for XML validity checking and should never be edited. If it gets deleted you can replace it from any other project. The XSL contains XML style information for your project and should never be deleted or edited. The HMXP file contains all your project settings, styles etc. and should never be edited manually unless you completely understand how all the components work -- errors can make the project unusable in Help & Manual. The /Maps folder contains the TOC file. That should not be edited manually because changes in it must be synchronized with settings in the topic files and also in the main project file. Deleting it will delete your TOC. You will then need to restore the TOC by dragging all the topics from the Topic Files section into the TOC to create the TOC entries, and then you will need to re-structure the TOC manually.

The /Topics folder contains your topics files. You can perform edits there at your own risk IF you don't damage the XML or make any XML errors. The best way to do this is make changes in the Help & Manual editor and look at what the results are in the XML Source Code tab. Again, however: You do this at your own risk. If you break things it is your responsibility. 8)

The Help & Manual XML format is fully documented in the Helpman_XML_ref.chm file, which you can find in the Help & Manual program directory.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.