Snippets: How to get snippet content to display in H&M?

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

becky kosowski

Snippets: How to get snippet content to display in H&M?

Unread post by becky kosowski »

I'm modifying an existing document by replacing the existing topic content with content from files in a repository.
In some cases the content from the repository is displayed in the document topic; in other cases only a message is displayed:
e.g., [Embedded Topic "sparaviewmanual_1::Generic_UI_Behavior"]

I can see no difference in the way the snippets are inserted. And I want to be able to see the content, NOT a reference to the content, when I'm working on the document.

any ideas?
becky kosowski

Re: Snippets: How to get snippet content to display in H&M?

i think i found the answer... inserting snippet From File works the way i'd like; inserting snippet From Repository does not.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Becky,

There are a couple of reasons you might see this problem when inserting from a style repository: If the repository has been moved or is not registered correctly in Help & Manual or correctly linked to your project, the content of the snippet may not be visible. For example, with a moved repository that has been re-registered you might see two copies of the repository in the Repository Manager: The old invalid one and the new one. You should then change the assignment for the current project to the new one and re-start Help & Manual and the re-open the project. If the repository has been moved and not yet re-registered you need to start by re-registering it, then reassign it for the project as above.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
becky kosowski

No repository moves. the snippets are coming from the same repository.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Becky,

Hmm... please mail me a small demo project illustrating the issue and a copy of your repository so that I can check them here. Before you do that, however: 1) First check in the Help > About menu that you are using the latest version of Help & Manual (the current version is 6.5.1 Build 2975) and download and install the latest version from here: http://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html. and then if you continue to have the problem 2) Check that none of the topic IDs in the repository are identical to any topic IDs in your topic. If they are, nothing will work. If the problem goes on then 3) Un-link the project from the repository, un-register the repository and then re-register and re-link. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.