A local project to localize

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

VictorL

A local project to localize

Unread post by VictorL »

Hi!

1. Please tell, if the user works on a professional and local (non-server) version H&M than can he/she use all a localization tools of H&M as for server version?

2. How to adjust H&M accessing to all H&M localization possibilities?

3. Is there any possible to import a translated information from a special translation data bases as Stylus as something like that to Help&Manual project?

Thanks for answer.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: A local project to localize

Unread post by Tim Green »

VictorL wrote:1. Please tell, if the user works on a professional and local (non-server) version H&M than can he/she use all a localization tools of H&M as for server version?

The functionality of the Server and Professional versions are identical, and that includes all the localization tools.
How to adjust H&M accessing to all H&M localization possibilities?
Please see this chapter in the help.
3. Is there any possible to import a translated information from a special translation data bases as Stylus as something like that to Help&Manual project?
No, Help & Manual does not have any database import facility at the moment. You would need to output the data from the database into a format that HM can import (CHM, HPJ, HLP, RTF, HTML, TXT, RoboHelp, Sandcastle, HelpScribble).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Thanks for an operational efficiency :D
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

We're interested in Trados to work with...

But what begin with?

I don't want to steal your time, Tim, but for my sorry the HM help didn't give a clear answer... :?

Same not clear how to drive the localization with H&M... making translate in same topic but using the conditions as <ENG>Girl</><DEU>Madchen</><SWE>Flicka</> etc. or for every translated variant to create own separate topic?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Victor,

I would not recommend getting Trados unless you are willing to spend a lot of time and effort learning how to use it. It is a very complicated tool and you need to use it all the time to be able to use it correctly. It is better to hire a professional translator who is already using it and is already familiar with it. It is not a good idea just to use a normal XML editor to translate or edit text in XML files like those produced by Help & Manual. XML editors are designed for XML programmers, they are not designed for the people actually writing or editing the text that the XML contains.

In your case it would probably be better to use Help & Manual itself as the translation editor. It is fine to use the Basic version for this. It can edit uncompressed HMXP projects created with the Pro version, and all the features created by the Pro version. It just cannot create some of those features itself, but the translator does not need to do that. You can then update your translations with the help of the Project Synchronizer tool described in the Translation chapter.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Thanks!
Tim Green wrote:In your case it would probably be better to use Help & Manual itself as the translation editor.
In case of man-hours do you recommend making different TOCs for every language to translate or use conditional text in same topic to separate every version of translations?
Tim Green
Site Admin

VictorL wrote: In case of man-hours do you recommend making different TOCs for every language to translate or use conditional text in same topic to separate every version of translations?
Never try to have multiple language versions of the same project in a single project! The basic procedure is this:
  1. Open the Synchronizer in the Project tab and create a "sibling" copy of the current project.
  2. Translate the sibling project.
  3. When you need to update, use the Synchronizer to compare the changes create an updated copy of the translation project for the translator to work on.
For details, see the instructions for the Project Synchronizer.
Regards,

Private support:
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Tim Green wrote:Never try to have multiple language versions of the same project in a single project!
Thanks, Tim..
There'd occure the strategic error in all H&M future planning without your advice :D
You're a survivar as I see...
Shaking your help hand :!:
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Tim Green wrote:In your case it would probably be better to use Help & Manual itself as the translation editor.
Tim, what about terminology management if using Help&Manual?
I mean to need keeping many base terms not to define them again and again... as Field, Drop down list, Option and something esle from user interface...
I think it can be done with many numbers of variables only....
Once I asked you about massive to use... I meant this how to manage terminology...

Tim, please, sorry for theme you closed (http://helpman.it-authoring.com/viewtop ... 30&t=13288)... I really sorry you lost control to understand a primitive things for programmers but I'm a writer only... maybe you add the note about a professional programmer skills in help integration with application section...? Sometimes we added the link to MS online help to enlight the users how to make a primitive and before described steps... :wink:
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

...not massive...
...but about array :?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Victor,

Help & Manual does not currently have a terminology management feature. You would need to do that externally.
maybe you add the note about a professional programmer skills in help integration with application section...
This is really not necessary in this case. It would also not be practical because the instructions would be different for every programming language. However, opening Internet URLs in the user's web browser is a standard operation in all programming languages. You only need to tell your programmer that he needs to open an URL to access WebHelp directly, and to show him the URL syntax. He already knows everything else he needs to be able to do this.
Regards,

Private support:
VictorL

Unread post by VictorL »

Tim Green wrote:You only need to tell your programmer that he needs to open an URL to access WebHelp directly, and to show him the URL syntax.
Thanks for patience :!: