Linking to a specific help topic

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Andreas Rekdal

Linking to a specific help topic

Unread post by Andreas Rekdal »

I realize that this topic probably has been dealt with many times over, but the search function on the forum is currently not working for me.

The program I am currently documenting has a welcome screen written in HTML where I want to highlight particular help topics for new users. I plan to distribute the manual for my company's software as a CHM file, and I therefore want to link directly to specific help topics within that file. I found the following code in a Microsoft help topic (<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx):

Code: Select all

<A HREF="ms-its:C:\filename.chm::/topic.htm">Link Text Here</a>
This doesn't seem to work for me. I assume that I am just missing something simple, but if someone could point me to a more detailed guide than the Microsoft help topic, that would be great!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Linking to a specific help topic

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Andreas,

The syntax you are using is correct. However, I think the MS article you link to is out of date, because links to CHMs like this from HTML pages no longer work and are blocked by Windows. You must either link to it using a normal help call from your application or use one of the workarounds with access to ActiveX shortcut objects via JavaScript, which may also fail, either now or in the future. See this page for details:

http://www.help-info.de/en/Help_Info_HT ... inking.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Andreas Rekdal

Re: Linking to a specific help topic

Unread post by Andreas Rekdal »

Thanks for clarifying!