Text variable visibility

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Edward.Smirnov

Text variable visibility

Unread post by Edward.Smirnov »

Hello,

I'm attempting to unify styles (it's OK) and some standard texts (say, EULA) for several our products using HMXR repository by embedding EULA topic from HMXR to one of topics of the particular product help file.

When I insert, say, <%PRODUCTNAME%> text variable in EULA topic text which is placed in HMXR repository, I get its value from HMXR context (if it is not set, I get <%PRODUCTNAME%>), but I need actual value of this variable for current help project as I've set it in *vars.txt file for it, of course.

Is there any way to make H&M use actual <%PRODUCTNAME%> value for particular project in such cases?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Text variable visibility

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Edward,

At the moment HMXR repositories do not share text variables, only styles and snippets.

You need to define the variables in every project where they are used. The only exception to this is modular projects: There, variables defined in the master project are also available at publish time in the child projects. This doesn't work the other way round, however: Variables defined in child projects are not available in other child projects or in the master project (inheritance goes down from the top only).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Edward.Smirnov

Re: Text variable visibility

Unread post by Edward.Smirnov »

Thank you, Tim - I thought I'm doing something wrong.
In my humble opinion, the rule that a text variable accepts value from the current (i.e. being compiled at the moment) help project scope, would help a lot to organize "standard" text snippets using HMXR mechanism and put all these things in order.
Thank you again.