Trouble with going from Prof version 6.2.3 to 6.5.1

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Mimi Broeske

Trouble with going from Prof version 6.2.3 to 6.5.1

Unread post by Mimi Broeske »

Hi,

I am setting up a new windows 8 64-bit computer and just installed Professional 6.5.1 Build 2974. On my Windows 7 machine, I am running 6.2.3 Build 2670. I use dropbox for my files.

When I go to open a project on the new computer, it opens but the Table of Contents is empty. On the information preview, it says there are 16 topics but when I click on any of them, it says it has trouble parsing the file.

I have no idea of where to even start troubleshooting this. I have switched machines before and had no trouble. I did not upgrade the Windows 7 computer because I was working on a project that I couldn't risk any down time on.

Any suggestions of where to begin? Thanks, Mimi
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Trouble with going from Prof version 6.2.3 to 6.5.1

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Mimi,

The current version is definitely fully compatible with projects created with the previous version. That will not be the problem here. My guess is that you might have been using uncompressed projects where the main project file has a .hmxp extension. If you then only copy the .hmxp file and not the entire project folder with all its contents, then you will get the effects you describe. This is because the .hmxp file is only a tiny part of the project, basically containing only the project settings. The table of contents, topics and all the other content are in the other files in the project folder. So what you probably need to do is copy your entire project folders to your new machine.

If you continue to have problems please do mail me a sample project and we will check it for you here. You can mail it to the HM support address at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) .
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.