Differing behavior between two HTML Help projects

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Jeff K

Differing behavior between two HTML Help projects

Unread post by Jeff K »

I have two similar HTML Help (.chm) projects and I've come across a difference in behavior that I can't figure out.

Case A) In one project, launching the Help table of contents from the application (Using a call to 'HtmlHelp' with the 'HH_DISPLAY_TOC' argument) brings up the Help and selects the first chapter item but does not open the chapter or select a topic inside it.

Case B) In the other project, launching the Help table of contents from the application brings up the Help and selects the first chapter item but does open the chapter and select and display the first topic inside it.

In both cases, the first chapter item is actually a topic with text and that is displayed.

Both projects include the Home button. If the help is already open and on a different topic than where it opened, clicking the Home button goes to the same location as if the help had been opened with the table-of-contents call, except that case A displays the first chapter text without moving the selection from the prior selection.

Am I missing a setting that controls this behavior?

Thank you.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Differing behavior between two HTML Help projects

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Jeff,

Did you set the default topic in your project? This setting is in Configuration > Common Properties > Language Settings (I know that's an odd place for it, that has historical reasons..).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Jeff K

Re: Differing behavior between two HTML Help projects

Unread post by Jeff K »

Hi Tim,

That's it! I didn't know about that setting. It was set in one project (I don't know how), but not the other. Thanks so much.

Jeff