internet links won't open in new window

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Debra Crum

internet links won't open in new window

Unread post by Debra Crum »

I have several links in my web help project that I want to open in a new window (they are links to php files that have embedded videos).

I have relative, internet links with the target window option set to new window.

When I click the link, it opens in the right frame instead of in a new window (tab).

The funny thing is that if I open the topic outside the framework, the link DOES open in a new tab.

When I look at the source of the frame, I can see that the link is set to target="_blank."

I am using a modified WebHelp_WindowsBlue skin (no index, << Click here to display Table of Contents >> opens in new tab).

But, I also published the project using a straight-out-of-the-box WebHelp_SlateBlue skin with the same results.

Thank you!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: internet links won't open in new window

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Debra,

You need to set the WEBLINK_NEWPAGE configuration variable in the skin to "true", then your weblinks will be opened in new pages. This is actually the default setting in current versions of the skins, so you may have inherited the "false" setting here from an older version.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Debra Crum

I checked the skin file. It had WEBLINK_NEWPAGE set to "true" already.

I did find that if I use an absolute link, it opens in a new window. But I have to use relative links, because the help files are placed on different servers (and subdomains).

Are there any other settings I should check?

Thanks.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Debra,

As long as you are using the Internet Link option to insert your links this should also work with relative links, provided your Premium Pack version is up to date. My guess is that you are probably using an older version. To check the current version look in the Help & Manual Premium Pack chapter in the main Help & Manual help. You will find the version either in the title of the chapter or in the update status information at the beginning of the chapter, depending on your version. The current version is 2.42, but note that 2.5 is going to be released soon as well, adding a feature called "timed browser cache" that will ensure that your users always see the latest versions of your topics instantly, without having to reload or empty their browser cache.

If you no longer have the download information for the Premium Pack installer send me a mail at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll help you out. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Debra Crum

I checked the Premium Skins chapter in the Help & Manual help. It has a Premium Pack 2.42 Change Log topic. And I have this directory on my computer: C:\Program Files (x86)\EC Software\HelpAndManual6\Templates\HTML Skins\Premium Pack 2.42\WebHelp Skins

I did some more testing. I wanted to find out if the problem was with the skin I was using (WebHelp_WindowsBlue from 2.42).

I tried using the same skin from 2.33. I'd been outputting my files as .php. This time I output them as .html, because I didn't want to have to upload them to the server to test. The links opened in new tabs as I want them to. I uploaded to the server and tested. The links opened in new tabs.

I published the project again using the 2.33 skin, but this time I output as .php. I uploaded to the server and tested the links. They opened in the right frame - not in a new window.

I next went back to my skin from 2.42. I output the files as .html and uploaded to the server. The links opened in new tabs.

So, my conclusion is that outputting PHP files is "confusing" something. One note - the file format of the index file (HTML or PHP) doesn't seem to have any affect. Both formats work fine.

I'm not sure what to do next. I can output the topics as HTML files, but I have to ask the developer to change all his links from .php to .html (not a huge deal - there aren't too many).

Thanks.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Debra,

It would be very helpful if you could mail me a small test project and the configured version of the 2.42 skin you are using so that I can figure out what is going on here. I just tested with the topic files as PHP files and it's working fine for me, but it may also have something to do with your specific links or link targets. Please mail to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @)

There is a new 2.5 update to the Premium Pack I'm just now finalizing, so if this is something that can be fixed I'd very much like to be able to put it in before it is released in the next few days. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Debra Crum

Thanks Tim! The test project and skin are on their way.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Debra,

Thanks, that was very helpful. I've located the issue and corrected it in your skin, and the fix will also be in the upcoming 2.5 update. It was a logical gotcha that caused files to get caught up in the handling for the user interface links with some combinations of factors. :roll:
Regards,

Private support: