Overriding skin variable via project variable

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

itexnz

Overriding skin variable via project variable

Unread post by itexnz »

Is it possible to set matching text variables in a project to override variables defined in a .hmskin?

I just did a simple test creating a custom variable in my project HD_SEARCH with a value of "Search for things" to see if it would override the default string configured in the skin file. It did not seem to work

Ideally I'd like to define the REDIRECT_ variables in my project using the project's VERSION_MAJOR variables, not in the skin - because that would mean I'd have to create a duplicate skin with these variables each time there is a new mobile app version
(or if the skin could recognise the passed in VERSION_ variables from the project which I also tested did not work)
David Scott
Documentation Infrastructure Consultant
https://www.sourceone.co.nz
SourceOne. Documentation, engineered.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Overriding skin variable via project variable

Unread post by Tim Green »

itexnz wrote:Is it possible to set matching text variables in a project to override variables defined in a .hmskin?
No, because the entire purpose of skins is to do exactly the opposite: By definition, skins always override all matching settings in the project. No exceptions.
Ideally I'd like to define the REDIRECT_ variables in my project using the project's VERSION_MAJOR variables, not in the skin - because that would mean I'd have to create a duplicate skin with these variables each time there is a new mobile app version
No, you don't need to create duplicate skins. You just need to create different publishing tasks in the publishing task manager, if you are publishing from within Help & Manual. Then you define the variables as you want to have them in each task, and choose the tasks as required (see the help the link points to for details). If you are publishing from the command line you can use an external text file to define the variables you want to change and reference it with the /V= switch.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.