Issues with Timed Browser Cache and Chrome?

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

tinat

Issues with Timed Browser Cache and Chrome?

Unread post by tinat »

Hi,
I recently upgraded to PP 2.50 and am using the Timed Browser Cache. Since the update, several users have complained that when they access the manual using Google Chrome their entire PC is crippled. The memory usage grows until the browser crashes. Any thoughts or suggestions? IE and Firefox appear to be fine. I did not receive any complaints until the update.

H&M 6.5.2 Build 3002
PP 2.50
Thanks, Tina
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Issues with Timed Browser Cache and Chrome?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tina,

We haven't heard anything like this from anyone yet. I've also done extensive testing precisely for things like this and have not seen any abnormal browser memory usage or processor loads, also in Chrome (actually, Firefox has been much worse for suddenly cranking up the processor load unexpectedly recently). I just did an extensive browsing session in Chrome, opening over 20 different instances of WebHelp with the timed browser cache in multiple tabs and doing a lot of browsing in all of them and there was absolutely no abnormal memory usage or processor load.

This doesn't mean that the new browser cache feature isn't involved in what you are seeing. It may be an unexpected interaction with something in your project. The first thing I would recommend is turning Timed Browser Cache off for a week or so to see if the problem persists. If it does, then something else is going on and it was just a coincidence that the problem cropped up at the same time as this change.

Either way, I would need to see your project to figure out what the problem is here. Please contact me by mail at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @). In this case I will need the full project with all its components, including all graphics, videos etc., for a meaningful test, and also a copy of the configured skin you are using. So we may need to arrange a download link or something like that to get the files to me.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.