Limiting number of heading levels in PDF TOC

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ed Hawco

Limiting number of heading levels in PDF TOC

Unread post by Ed Hawco »

This should be simple, but I can't figure it out.

I want to limit the PDF output's TOC to Heading1, Heading2, and Heading3. (I don't want it to include Heading4, etc.)

I can't figure how how to do this. I even tried removing the Heading3 (etc.) bands in the Print Designer TOC page; all that did was give me a TOC with blank lines where the Heading4s used to appear.

In the specific case I'm dealing with now, it's a 4th-level child topic that appears in the PDF body with the topic title in Heading 4 (even though it is Heading1 in the project file, but that makes sense as the child level is determining the PDF heading level, not the style assigned).

I know the workaround (move the 4th level child topic back a level), but I'm hoping there is a proper configuration way to control this.

Is there?
e
d
============================================
Ed Hawco
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Limiting number of heading levels in PDF TOC

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ed,

The way to eliminate heading levels in the TOC is to define their heights as zero. Open the page options in the TOC section in Manual Designer (Pages > Page Options, or double-click on an empty part of the page), and in the configuration table at the bottom of the Page Options dialog set the heights of all sections you don't want to include to zero.

Note that this will automatically delete the contents of the bands you reduce to zero height!

This also works for topic headings in the Topics section. The result then is that the topics are run together like a single topic, without headings. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.