Figure Number Automation

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Mark Judson

Figure Number Automation

Unread post by Mark Judson »

Is there a way to automatically assign figure numbers based on Chapters?

Ex: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc... for chapter one
2.1, 2.2, 2.3 etc... for chapter two
3.1, 3.2, 3.3 etc... for chapter three

Can I use <%HMFIGURECOUNTER%> and if so can I set it to count with decimal such as 1.1, 1.2, 1.3? Also, how do I change ID for each chapter so it would go to 2.1, 2.2, 2.3? Thanks.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Figure Number Automation

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Mark,

Sorry, there's no way to pull chapter numbers into figure numbers. The information simply isn't available in most formats. The only place where chapter numbers could be available, at least theoretically, would be in PDF. However, there you don't have any way to access them in the body of your topics. They are only available in the PDF template, which is actually separate from the topic body, which is inserted into the template to create the complete page.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Mark Judson

Unread post by Mark Judson »

Tim, is there a way for me to start the figure numbers over automatically in each chapter using the <%HMFIGURECOUNTER%> variable? If so, what do I need to do in order to make that happen? Thanks.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Mark,

Yes, you can reset any counter to any number at any point by using the syntax <%\HMFIGURECOUNTER=0%>. Alternatively you can create a new ad-hoc counter and use it from the point where you want to use the new numbers. See this topic in the help for full details (section on resetting figure and table counters):

http://helpandmanual.com/help/index.htm ... ersref.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.