Index tool doesn't display

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ted Carlson

Index tool doesn't display

Unread post by Ted Carlson »

I have two bits that aren't working actually...the Index Tool and Find & Replace. Each time I press the buttons on the ribbon all I get is a quick flash which look like the program losing focus briefly. I tried assigning shortcuts and that didn't do it. Reinstalling the program didn't do anything either. Its just those two buttons....everything else works fine.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Index tool doesn't display

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ted,

Before doing anything else, please make sure you are using the current version of the program, which you can check with Help > About. The current version of HM6 is 6.5.2 Build 3002. You can download the installer here (just install on top of your current version to update):

http://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html

Another possibility is that you sometimes have a second monitor connected and are not using it at the moment. Windows sometimes opens the dialog on the not-connected monitor in situations like this. To pull hidden dialogs and windows back onto the screen, first execute the command that would make the dialog or window reappear. Then before doing anything else, hold down the Windows key and press the right or left arrow keys a couple of times to snap them back onto the visible monitor.

If that doesn't help, try a clean install (you may have to re-enter your license codes):

1: Uninstall Help & Manual in the Windows Control Panel (Add/Remove Programs)
2: In the Windows Start menu select Run and enter "regedit" to start the Registry Editor. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > ECSOFTWARE. Select the "Help & Manual 6" key (folder) and press DELETE to delete it.
3: Download the latest version of the Help & Manual installer from our website at http://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html .
4: Install the program with the new installer.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ted Carlson

Re: Index tool doesn't display

Unread post by Ted Carlson »

Tim,
The clean install solved the problem. Thanks for the quick response.