Adobe PDF Toggle Button

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Michelle Cuellar

Adobe PDF Toggle Button

Unread post by Michelle Cuellar »

Hi,

I was wondering if it were possible to create a functional toggle button on an Adobe PDF file? I'm able to create toggles and put what I need into the boxes, but they only seem to work when I publish in .chm. If they can work within PDFs, what method should I use to achieve this?

Thanks,
Elley
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Adobe PDF Toggle Button

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Elley,
I was wondering if it were possible to create a functional toggle button on an Adobe PDF file?
No, that is physically impossible. A PDF is really only the output that normally gets sent to a printer rendered as an electronic document. It is a static page, just like a piece of paper. That's also why it's effectively impossible to convert a PDF back to anything else -- it's like trying to unscramble eggs.

Adobe does now support JavaScript for some things in PDF but that is quite dangerous and one of the reasons why PDF files are now one of the leading transmitters of viruses and malware. You should always have JavaScript support turned off in your PDF reader.

If you want real interactive documents you need to use a real interactive documentation format like WebHelp or CHM. PDF does have some rudimentary interactive features like hyperlinks, but they are very primitive compared to HTML.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.