popups don't publish with "only selected topics"

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Susan Gallagher

popups don't publish with "only selected topics"

Unread post by Susan Gallagher »

I was publishing only a few topics (uncompiled html) to check on formatting, and when I clicked on a popup link, I received a 404 message. Curious, I generated again. This time, I had only the top "Table of Contents" entry highlighted and still checked "print only selected topics" so naturally the entire file was generated - except for the popups. The UI was kind enough to tell me that the popup files were not included. The only way to make popups work is to publish the whole project. Checking the "print only selected topics" box kills all the popups. Is this supposed to happen?

As a side issue - if I want to include popup topics as glossary definitions in a pdf, I'd have to put the definition in a snippet and use it to populate the popup and the glossary page - right?

Thanks!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: popups don't publish with "only selected topics"

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Susan,

The "only selected topics" option will not produce fully functional output and should never be used for production publishing. It is only for a quick preview of your layout, nothing more. It will only output the selected topics, no other topics at all -- i.e. also not linked topics, invisible topics, popups etc. In addition to this, it also won't generate the search modules when you are publishing WebHelp. If you need to include/exclude content for production output you must use conditional build options.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.