Invalid pointer operation during spell check

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Nicolas Wicke

Invalid pointer operation during spell check

Unread post by Nicolas Wicke »

Hello,

I'm constantly getting an 'Invalid pointer operation' error at the end of a spell check in a topic.

I can easily simulate this, even after rebooting the system:
- Launch spell check (Current topic).
- Skip all found occurrences with 'Ignore all'.
- After the last occurrence, the error is shown. I guess normally the pop-up with "x words checked" should appear (which it doesn't).

This is not limited to 'Ignore all' and also happens when finishing the spell check with either of the actions (Ignore once, Change,...)

I have this in multiple, unrelated projects.
Help & Manual 6.5.5 Build 3020
Windows 8.1 machine.

Any ideas or someone exeriencing the same behavior?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Nicolas
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Invalid pointer operation during spell check

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Nicolas,

I just tried this and can't reproduce it -- also the current version of HM6 and Windows 8.1. Before we get into more arcane possibilities, I'm wondering if it might be something in your project. Try generating a new dummy project. Do you still get the same error? Another possibility is the dictionary: What language are you using? I tested in US English. If it's only happening in one project we'd like to have a look at it: Zip it up and mail it to me at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we'll check it out.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Nicolas Wicke

Hi Tim,

I'm suspecting the error is related to my system.
I also get the error in new projects.

I've even downgraded to H&M 6.2 and I still get the error, although it appears in a more extensive form (with the ability to send an error report, which I did).
I'm 100% sure my problem is recent, meaning that the problem is most likely not situated in H&M.

So I guess you will not be able to do much about it. 8)

Thank you.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Nicolas,

If possible, try installing Help & Manual on a different machine and perform the same operations with the same project. That should confirm whether it is specific to that machine.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Nicolas Wicke

Hi Tim,

I didn't expect this at all, but the error does occur on another machine.

I had a colleague of mine install H&M 6.5.5 Build 3020 on her machine (Windows 8.1, 64bit).
I let her start a new project, type some text in one of the topics and perform the spell check procedure as I do.
She immediately had the same error after finishing the spell check.
H&M has never been installed on that machine before.

I'm kind of baffled here :)
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Nicolas,

That's strange. We're going to do some additional testing on multiple machines to see if we can reproduce this. I'll get back to you if we need more information. :?
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Nicolas,

We've discussed this in detail now and there are three things you can try, which will test for different possible causes:

1: Check your user dictionaries

We've see problems like this associated with corrupted or damaged user dictionaries. If you are referencing a dictionary on a server in your spell check settings this could explain why you are getting the same error on the new installation as well. If that is also using the same damaged dictionary, it would get the same error. So to test, remove any references to existing user dictionaries.

2: Test on Windows 7 and Windows XP

If possible, please test on a Windows 7 and/or a Windows XP machine. Then we will know if it is something that is specific to Windows 8.

3: Test on a computer that is not integrated in user policies or a domain

If your computers are integrated in a company system and have global user policies installed it is quite possible to have settings that completely change the way Windows behaves. To check whether this is the cause you need to try installing on a completely "virgin" machine that is not integrated in your company system. I.e. it should not be part of a domain and should not have any user policies installed.
Regards,

Private support:
Nicolas Wicke

Hi Tim,

I started with suggestion 3 and immediately won the golden ticket.
I did not test on a "virgin" machine but created a local account on my PC, thus bypassing our domain.
The error doesn't occur when using the local account. I suspect our domain policies are not installed.

Need I look any further?