Twitter share button always shows

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ola Timpson

Twitter share button always shows

Unread post by Ola Timpson »

Hello

We use a slightly customised version of the WebHelp_SlateBlue premium pack skin. When I view our online help in either Firefox or IE11, the Tweet button permanently displays. It looks fine in Chrome. Although I have made some modifications to the skin I have not changed the social sharing section (to my knowledge).
Capture.PNG
Please could you advise if this is likely to be a settings issue?

Kind regards,
Ola
http://support.covalentcpm.com/browserhelp/index.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Support Executive/Technical Author
Covalent Software
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Twitter share button always shows

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ola,

This appears to be only happening on Internet Explorer. It looks as though you have damaged something in the skin while customizing it. The first thing to do is to upload a test version to another folder on your site using an unedited version of the skin. (Remember to set the correct URL in the configuration variables so that the Share button is activated.) If you find that it works, then you know that it is a result of your changes.

However, the copy of the skin you are using is also out of date. You are currently on 2.50 and it would be a good idea to update to 2.51. I recommend that you do that and update a copy of the new version of the skin with your changes. If you continue to have problems mail me a small demo project and your skin at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we will check it for you.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Ola,

Update: I've just investigated this and it appears to be a new problem in Internet Explorer with the twitter component in the sharing popup. This will be fixed as soon as possible, we're getting onto it right away.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ola Timpson

Unread post by Ola Timpson »

Thanks Tim.

I hadn't realised there was a new version of the skin until I logged onto the forum yesterday, so I've added that to my to-do list :)
Support Executive/Technical Author
Covalent Software
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Ola,
Ola Timpson wrote:I hadn't realised there was a new version of the skin until I logged onto the forum yesterday, so I've added that to my to-do list
As soon as you have it installed let me know at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I will send you an advance fix for the Twitter button bug. It's an easy fix, because it's exactly the same problem we encountered earlier with the Google+ button: Twitter has changed the way their iFrame for the button is rendered, and the normal method for keeping it out of view until the user clicks on the Share button has stopped working. We just need to apply the same fix that is already in place for the Google+ button.
Regards,

Private support:
Paul Elbertse

Unread post by Paul Elbertse »

Tim,

I am having this problem in Mozilla Firefox (Twitter buttom always visible).
In IE the twitter button is not showing at all (not that I need it, but it is maybe the same issue).

Just thought I let you know.

Regards,
Paul
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Paul,

If you mail me the skin you are using at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) I can make the modification needed to fix it so that you can test it. :)
Regards,

Private support: