Default text in webhelp Index.html

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Chris Ongena

Default text in webhelp Index.html

Unread post by Chris Ongena »

Hi,

When publishing a project as Webhelp, the index.html (or output.html) contains the following text :
After opening the skin, go to Configuration > Publishing Options > Webhelp > Layout to customize this frame page. Modify the header background and size, change the menu entries and apply your CI to this skin! Tip: If you export a project with this skin, make sure that you enable the option "Include Menu"!
I can't find where to remove it. This linkhttp://helpman.it-authoring.com/viewtop ... 30&t=11333 is about the same problem
but the link in the answer does not point me to a page where this text can be edited/removed.

Searching the forum on "after opening" returns zero hits so I can't seem to find the answer for myself.
How do I go about removing that text?
Thanks
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Default text in webhelp Index.html

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Chris,

To access this you need to edit the skin file that you are using to publish, which replaces the HTML templates and settings from your project when you select it. A skin is actually a kind of Help & Manual project that only contains templates and settings, without any topics. It makes it possible to use the same HTML templates and layouts with multiple topics, instead of having to configure them separately for every topic.

The standard skins delivered with Help & Manual are stored in the program directory because it is not possible to edit them there. This protects them so that you always have an original to return to. To edit the skin, do this:
  1. Make a note of the name of the skin you are using in the Publish screen
  2. Select Open in Help & Manual and make sure *.hmskin is selected in the file type to open setting in the dialog.
  3. Navigate to /Templates/HTML Skins in the Help & Manual program folder and open the skin in Help & Manual.
  4. Select Save As.. in the File menu and save it in your project folder so that you can edit it.
All the components are in the same place as in a normal Help & Manual project.

The template you are looking for to edit can be located in: Project Explorer (on the left) > Configuration > Publishing Options > WebHelp > Layout. That template contains the main HTML page that becomes index.html when you publish, and the content from your project is inserted into it. You need to edit in the Source Code tab only, because the skin contains custom code.

IMPORTANT WARNING: Don't switch back to simple layout mode tab in skins with edited source code! Doing this will replace your edited version with the default template and delete your changes. You will be warned if you try to do this, and this is a warning you should take seriously. This is particularly important when editing pre-designed skins, as switching to simple mode there will delete all the custom code and make the skin unusable.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Chris Ongena

Hi Tim,

1. i saved the skin in the project folder
2. in the publish-option of my project itself, I choose that skin using the browse button
3. Then, I navigate to Project Explorer (on the left) > Configuration > Publishing Options > WebHelp > Layout
There, I see this screen
but the text is nowhere to be found, not even on the Edit HTML code tab

What am I missing?
Thx
Chris
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Chris,
What am I missing?
You need to look for it in the skin, not in your project. The templates in the project are not used when you publish with a skin and they are completely irrelevant. Open the saved copy of the .hmskin file in Help & Manual, then you will find the editable template in the described location there. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Chris Ongena

Hi Tim,

Oh man, i feel stupid but i still can't find that text anywhere in the skin.
I tried putting the skin in Upload attachment but :
Zip extension is not allowed
hmskin extension is not allowed
Rar extension is not allowed
No extension is not allowed
"rename" extension is not allowed
So no idea which files you do allow to upload

Anyhow, I wanted to mail it to you because I just cannot find any text in the order of "After opening the skin...." in it.
It's your standard Twoframe_Classic_Skin_Blue.hmskin

Chris
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Chris,
Chris Ongena wrote:It's your standard Twoframe_Classic_Skin_Blue.hmskin
Chris
That is the problem. You published with one skin and tried to edit a different one. The "classic" skins are an old design and are provided only for backward compatibility with legacy browsers like IE6, which are really not needed any more. The skin you published with was one of the ones with the word "integrated" in its name. Since you chose the blue version from the classic skins my guess is that it was "Integrated IFrames with Header - Blue". If you make a copy of that skin and edit it you will find the text you saw there in the Layout template.
I tried putting the skin in Upload attachment but :
It's intentional that files like that are blocked. The forum is really not the place for that kind of upload. The attachment feature is really only for screenshots. Any files you want us to check should always be mailed to support at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @). 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Chris Ongena

I feel duuuhhhh :oops:
Thank you, problem solved 8)
Copying the "Integrated..." and modifying that one worked like a gem.