Working links in PDF and CHM

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Svetlana Akulova

Working links in PDF and CHM

Unread post by Svetlana Akulova »

Hello again!
I will try to explain my next question. The attached drawing shows an approximate diagram in essence.
I have a document that is published in both PDF and CHM format. The document has an "Application" page, which should be in a PDF document. But its content should also be in the CHM document, but not in the form of an application, but just a section in the structure.
I tried to do this: I added snippets to both pages with the necessary content (in my example, this is Sub_First_topic and Application).
At the same time, I made two links from the "First_topic" section: one to "Sub_First_topic", the second to "Application".
So. When I published the document in PDF format, everything turned out as I wanted: "Sub_First_topic "is not displayed, and the link from the "First_opic" section is only to "Application". The second link is not even displayed. Elegantly. 8)
But it didn't work with CHM... :?
Unfortunately, in the received CHM, both links are displayed in the "First_topic" section: one works, and the second, of course, leads to nowhere (to an Application that is not in the CHM).
Maybe there is some way to achieve the same result with CHM, similar to PDF?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Working links in PDF and CHM

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Svetlana,

If I understand you correctly, you want to have one hyperlink in "First Topic" appear in the PDF version and the other hyperlink in the same topic appear in the CHM version. To achieve this you need to "tag" the links with the Conditional Text tool in Write > Insert Object (the pink [IF> tool). Your links in the topic would then look like this:

[IF_PDF>Text 1<END][IF_CHM>Text 2<END]

To do this you select the text you want to tag, then select the Conditional Text tool. In the dialog, select IF on the left, the PDF cor CHM condition from the list and then click on OK. If the text is selected it will insert the IF condition at the beginning of the selection and the END tag at the end. See this chapter in the documentation for full details:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_a ... ltext.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Svetlana Akulova

Re: Working links in PDF and CHM

Unread post by Svetlana Akulova »

That's brilliant! Thank you! It works! :applaud: :D :hoorahg: