Slide progess without click

HelpXplain is the exciting new animated infographics and screencast tool that integrates with Help+Manual.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Gerold Krommer

Slide progess without click

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

Hello,

I assure it must be me...

Sometimes it makes sense to advance from one silde to the next, but then I want this and mabe another (or a third) slide to animate without a button click, and then continue with regular on entry/on exit animations.

The word 'autoplay' comes to my mind, but for my life I cannot figure out how to achive above...

Thanks for any help,

/Gerold
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Slide progess without click

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gerold,

Select the slide in the slide list, then open Position and Timing in the Properties pane on the right. There you can activate the option to stop AutoPlay at that slide. Alternatively you can also have a click on any element stop AutoPlay by attaching a script action to it: Select the element, then in Link & Interaction on the right choose Execute a Script and select xplain.stop() from the drop-down list.

You can then restart AutoPlay with the xplain.play() script action. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Gerold Krommer

Hi Tim,

I feel completely stupid and probably justifiable so. I'm only concerned with screenscasts which I publish with no autoplay beacause for 80% of the slides this is what I want: User interacts to advance to the next information beacause he/she has understood the current screen content.

Only in 20% of the cases (because of the way screenshots are taken) user has to press x times the next button and the info on screen is only incremented minimally. This I would like to condense into a single animation/action.

Are you saying I should publish with autoplay and remove the autoplay on the 80% where I do not want it?

Lost... :frustration:

Thanks,

/Gerold
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gerold,
Are you saying I should publish with autoplay and remove the autoplay on the 80% where I do not want it?
No, but you can activate autoplay wherever you want with a script action attached to an object and deactivate it automatically at any slide the with the slide property. So for example, if you want a number of animations to be performed automatically you would create a slide in which the first item clicked activates autoplay. Then turn off autoplay in the next slide where you want it to stop. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Gerold Krommer

Hi Tim,

my research on this topic can - in the best case - only be called 'herumwurschteln'. This is an Austrian dialect word (probably also known in Bavaria) describing clueless and random efforts in achieving a goal.

Your help directed me to the following attempt:

Create the following custom javascript:

Code: Select all

xplain.addEventListener('onmoved', function (index, count) {
  if (index==1) xplain.play();
  if (index==4) xplain.stop();
});
The whole thing starts off correctly (start animations on slide 0, press player button, exit animations on slide 0, then autoplay beginning with slide 1) but never stops playing , as if xplain.stop never gets executed (but I verified with alert that it does..).

If I set 'stop autoplay' on slide 3 this indeed stops the autoplay at 4, at least achieving what I want, but is this the right way?

(all numbering is zero based)

/Gerold
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Works perfectly fine for me. Index 4 = slide #5. when this slide is reached, autoplay stops. You can see this indicated by the play button in the default skin: it changes back from "pause" state to the "play" icon.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH