Search hit > click link > page w/no dynamic content

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Search hit > click link > page w/no dynamic content

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

We have a number of WebHelp topics that draw from documentation in another source, brought into a given topic via iFrame.

The iFrame information is not loaded in the page when the search hit link is clicked. It does load, if you further refresh the page.

The question...
Is there a way to force the inclusion of the iFrame material straightaway, perhaps something I can include in the HTML Code Object that contains the iFrame incantation on the page?

Oddly enough, there is an initial line from the embedded iFrame-d document, see below.

Here's the sequence.
1. Type the topic name into the search box (in this case, I've searched for "booleansolid" and hit #4 is the one I click on):

2. Result
The area marked by the yellow/gold rectangle is where the iFrame-drawn document is meant to go):
Note that the line containing "K4 Base Library K4 Rule Objects" and copyright IS in the iFrame-spawned content.

3. iFrame content is there after hitting F5 (refresh) in the browser:

The iFrame incantation, embedded in the topic page via an H+M HTML Code Obect:
<iframe class="x" width="100%" height="100%" style="border:0px; overflow:hidden;" onload="this.style.height=(this.contentWindow.document.body.scrollHeight+30)+'px';" src="../kbDocsAutodox/designs/booleansolid.html" ></iframe>
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Search hit > click link > page w/no dynamic content

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,

This isn't going to work without a reload because of security issues with hidden remotely-sourced iFrames.

When you click on search results the skin loads the page immediately, before you switch from the search pane back to the topic pane, so that the topic is all there nice and ready as soon as you display it. On the skin you are using the page is in its own iFrame, which is hidden during search, but that is fine because it's coming from the same location as everything else in your WebHelp, so there's no security issue there.

Your iFrame embedded in the page is different, however. The browser looks at that, hidden inside an already hidden iFrame, and immediately its internal security claxons start blaring and warning lights start flashing and it slams on the brakes. This is because a hidden remote iFrame is potentially a massive security problem, no matter what it contains. (And it probably doesn't help that you're including an onload script in the iFrame's own tag as well. )

One way around this would most likely be to switch to one of the skins that keeps the search page in the navigation pane on the left, so that the topic page is displayed visibly as soon as you click on the results link.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Tim Green wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:41 am One way around this would most likely be to switch to one of the skins that keeps the search page in the navigation pane on the left, so that the topic page is displayed visibly as soon as you click on the results link.
Glimmers of the truth are filtering into what's left of my mind - thanks.

I'll go back through some of my threads around the dynamic material in our WebHelp. I remember a couple of people here suggesting alternatives to iFrame for loading the dynamic material. Maybe one of these alternatives will pan out.

Hmm. Wonder if a second HTML code or script object below the first, calling for a single re-load, would do the trick.

Problem is, I find numerous JS-based scripts online but can't tell the safety or efficacy of any of them... I'll have to lean on my company's JS experts.

Meanwhile, is there a comprehensive page that displays skins -- where the display would show things like positioning of searches? I know we can see thumbnails while choosing a skin, but these are designed to display the overall graphical layout, not details. I recognize that such a comparison would be a challenge to assemble, but it would be nice...
Tim Green
Site Admin

Dave Gehman wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:27 pm Hmm. Wonder if a second HTML code or script object below the first, calling for a single re-load, would do the trick.
No, because the problem is simple and binary: The browser will not load remote content into an iFrame that is not currently visible. It simply won't do it in a skin where the topic page is displayed behind the search page. Just test it out by using any skin that doesn't do this -- either one of the regular V3 or V4 skins in the Premium Pack, or any of the standard skins included with Help+Manual.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Tim Green wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:42 am Just test it out by using any skin that doesn't do this -- either one of the regular V3 or V4 skins in the Premium Pack, or any of the standard skins included with Help+Manual.
OK, understood.

Knowing that there are thumbnails for the skins (they show up in the Publish dialogs when specifying skins), is there any utility that will show these thumbnails? I'd like to see them in Windows Explorer, since I get lost re: where I am on the hard disk while in the Publish dialog. "Open Skin" takes me to where I placed my modified copy of the H+M skin that I'm using at the moment, rather than the H+M-supplied repository of available skins.

And I've never managed to memorize the full path... Program Files (x86) > EC Software > HelpAndManual8 > Templates > HTML Skins > Premium Pack 4.0.4
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Dave,
is there any utility that will show these thumbnails? I'd like to see them in Windows Explorer, since I get lost re: where I am on the hard disk while in the Publish dialog.
Unfortunately not. What you could do is simply copy all the skins to a more accessible location in your own Documents directory. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Dave Gehman

Ok.

Secondary question - Why can"t I just say 'OK' in a post -- why do I need 17 more characters ?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Dave Gehman wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:51 pm Secondary question - Why can"t I just say 'OK' in a post -- why do I need 17 more characters ?
That's one of the forum mechanisms that helps to prevent spurious and automated posts. :?
Regards,

Private support:
Dave Gehman

Thanks... yet another dance inspired by the malevolent few...