Tables of Figures

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ga Bowen

Tables of Figures

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

A nice new feature (among many) is the Tables of Figures.

It currently generates at the back of the pdf, but I would like to put it after my ToC. I can't seem to move the tab in the Manual Designer though.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Tables of Figures

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gareth,

The new Tables section is fixed at the moment but I've posted a development query to see if it can be made mobile. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

OK, that would be a big help.

Thanks, Tim.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update: I'm afraid this isn't possible because there is no information available for the tables before the topics have been rendered. If the tables are inserted in the PDF before the topics after the topics have been rendered it would change the pagination, and all the references both to the topics and in the topics would no longer be correct. Doing this would entail rendering the entire project at least three times, and more if some other features requiring multiple rendering are used, like Page X of Y, and that would seem to be unacceptable. :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

Hi Tim,

That makes sense.

It's just an odd place to have a list of figures and tables. I don't think I've ever seen a manual with them at the back.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Ga Bowen wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:20 pmIt's just an odd place to have a list of figures and tables. I don't think I've ever seen a manual with them at the back.
Yes, word processors like Word and Open Office can get away with that because a) the file itself and the output format are the same thing and b) that means that the entire rendered output is live in the memory all the time and all the multiple render steps can be updated on an ongoing basis in the background.

We may provide the capability to do something like this in the future, but it will mean that PDFs would then takes several times longer to render, and it adds a lot of complexity and additional options for errors, which is why we decided not to do it with the initial release.
Regards,

Private support: