Insert link list enhancements

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Greg Smith

Insert link list enhancements

Unread post by Greg Smith »

The new linked list feature is a great start, and has allowed me to replace several tediously hand managed lists... but the format is not very flexible. I have two other formats that I use (a lot) for single level lists:
1) A n x m grid of links when there are too many for a list
2) A list of links with short names all in one line (often used to go to the siblings of a topic)
Is there any chance of a more development here?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Insert link list enhancements

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Greg,

Thanks for posting this. I'm sure that more options will be added in time. We just need to collect the suggestions and see where they are going. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Mark Wilsdorf

Unread post by Mark Wilsdorf »

I've not yet gotten Link Lists (LL) to work at all (I've emailed support separately), so I may not fully understand the currently available LL settings. But if I'm thinking correctly, and Child topics of this chapter is set to 3 levels, then will the LL contain links to levels 1, 2, and 3?

If that is the case, I'd like to vote for (1) a setting that would let the LL contain only entries for one or more selected levels...such as only level 3 topics, and (2) the ability to sort the LL entries alphabetically.

The reason: I have a page containing indexes to articles, with the indexes grouped by year in toggle tables. The index entries are nested at level 3. I'd like an LL on the page to provide links to the article index entries arranged alphabetically by title.
Greg Smith

Unread post by Greg Smith »

In my experience, if you ask for 3 child levels you get the next three levels down from wherever you are. Levels are counted by nesting. Each increase in level indents the results. All paragraphs use the same format as the paragraph with the link in it (so maybe a future development is a set of link list format names...).

For me, I end up with a linked list that looks somewhat line the main table of contents (without the book icons).
Mark Wilsdorf

Unread post by Mark Wilsdorf »

> ... if you ask for 3 child levels you get the next three levels...

Yes Greg, I agree. For my application though, I want a list consisting of only one level within the hierarchy--and not the top level. The point of having an LL list in this situation is to cut across (or break out of) the hierarchy to expose article titles independent of a date-oriented topic hierarchy.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

We're collecting suggestions and comments for further improvements of the link lists feature, which is still in its early days at the moment. The more comments and suggestions we get, the better it will get... 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.