2 Numbered lists render as a continuous list

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Greg Smith

2 Numbered lists render as a continuous list

Unread post by Greg Smith »

I have a page that renders as the attached image bug1.png.

This is despite the XML looking like attached bug2.png.

If you zoom in on the xml for the second list you can see it has levelreset="true" and startfrom="1", so should restart the line numbers.

If I select the list and click the Numbering Style button twice to remove and restore numbers, the list renumbers as I would expect and item 9 becomes 1, as intended. If I navigate away from the page by clicking on a few pages in the Project explorer, then use the back button to return, it is very likely that the numbering will revert to starting at 9 again, even though the XML looks identical.

I have already sent this project to Tim for other reasons. This page is in the Technical support chapter, Recent revision history, Revision 10.03 page.
Last edited by Greg Smith on Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: 2 Numbered lists render as a continuous list

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Greg,

Attaching images on the forum is a 2-step process: First you select Add File, that uploads it and makes it available. Then you need to use the insert inline option to actually insert it in your posting. Before choosing insert inline, make sure that the insertion point is there where you want to insert it. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Greg Smith

I've been going mad trying to follow your instructions... eventually I figured out that the two images are too big (>128 kB).
Here is a link to them. https://send.firefox.com/download/a111e ... xjUUSuAYvA
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Greg,

All that has happened there is that you have split a list in two instead of creating a new list. (Which is a feature, not a bug, allowing you to insert material in lists while they continue afterwards.) All you need to do is re-list the second part. Select the entire second part of the list, click on the List tool once to de-list it and then again to re-list it, thus creating a new list starting with 1.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Greg Smith

Yes, that is exactly what I did (several times). It changed the output, but when I navigated elsewhere and returned, eventually it reverted, even though the XML did not change.

However, since making your suggested changes for ewriter problems, I cannot reproduce the effect. I will, of course, let you know if it ever returns.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Greg,

This may be related to a similar issue we are seeing when the two lists are in table cells directly above one another. We're looking into it.
Regards,

Private support:
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

We have identified and fixed the list numbering problem with build 5462:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html?upd
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH