License key activation issue

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

jabramoff

License key activation issue

Unread post by jabramoff »

Hello.

I just downloaded and installed H+M 8. At the end of installation, I selected to run the program. On the trial/license activation splash screen, I entered my license key and clicked Activate. When I tried to open a project from a mapped network drive, H+M 8 could not see my mapped network drives (see attached screenshot of the Open screen). I closed H+M 8, re-opened it, and the trial/activation splash screen appeared again. I again entered the license key and activated it. This time, H+M 8 showed recent projects and saw my mapped network drives. I now realize that I ran the Setup EXE file as an administrator, although when I open the program itself, I do so as my regular non-administrator Windows user. Maybe that explains what happened.

Also, I upgraded from H+M 7, using the link in H+M 7 itself. However, I did not see an instruction regarding when to uninstall H+M 7, so I did not do so before installing H+M 8. The H+M 8 setup and installation process does not involve nor does it require uninstalling H+M 7, something I have seen when upgrading other programs, but again, I saw no instruction one way or the other.

Finally, when I installed H+M 8, I selected Impict Graphic Editor, because I wasn't sure what would happen to my existing Impict Graphic Editor when I do uninstall H+M 7.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: License key activation issue

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Jab,
I now realize that I ran the Setup EXE file as an administrator, although when I open the program itself, I do so as my regular non-administrator Windows user. Maybe that explains what happened.
Yes, that's correct. The registration is always for the current user. Note also that there is no reason to run HM from a mapped drive, even if you are using a floating license. On the contrary: You will always get better performance if you install and run locally, which you can now do with all license types. If you are using floating licenses you just need to activate ALL the licenses once on the SAME computer FIRST. Then you can give all the uses the any license key to run the program -- you can even give them all the same key. For the individual users, the key is just to verify that they are authorized to use a license slot.
However, I did not see an instruction regarding when to uninstall H+M 7, so I did not do so before installing H+M 8.
Help+Manual always installs a new version as a completely separate program. We wouldn't change the previous version because you may want to continue using it while making the transition or learning to use the new version. You never need to uninstall the previous version and you can even run both of them at the same time. You can keep or uninstall the previous version, as you like. This has always been the case so existing HM users generally know about it, but we should probably explain it for new users.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.