Admin un-pin of pinned license

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Admin un-pin of pinned license

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

The following quote from the H+M 8 help file around using floating licenses seems to say that an administrator cannot un-pin a license that's been pinned by a user for offline use, except after 8 days:
The license will then remain active {after pinning} until unpinned. The administrator can release a pinned floating license with the administration tool, which is available on request, but only after eight days have elapsed since the license was pinned.
If it's true that we cannot un-pin the license via administration for essentially 2 work weeks, is there any chance that you could look into this -- we'd very much like this to be changed to immediate un-pinning by admin.

In my somewhat chaotic company, we might have an urgent need to un-pin a license without depending on intervention by the employee who pinned it. In one case, the employee is not full time and not readily reachable during days when he's not working for us.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Admin un-pin of pinned license

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,
In my somewhat chaotic company, we might have an urgent need to un-pin a license without depending on intervention by the employee who pinned it. In one case, the employee is not full time and not readily reachable during days when he's not working for us.
We understand the problem, but immediate unpinning isn't currently a viable option. I'm afraid the only solution for the moment is to make it very clear to your users how important it is to release their license slot when they're not going to be using it. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Re: Admin un-pin of pinned license

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

I see. Please understand that I'm about to have my feet shoved into the fire by my management, not because we have inconsiderate or inattentive people, but because our entire group has until now worked on always-available local but collaboratively networked applications.. combined with virtual-company, work-every-time-all-the-time-everywhere mentalities. We're just not used to sharing, I guess you could say, though understand that your shared licensing is a brilliant solution to 9/10ths of our needs.

I know the solution is to buy him his own license, but current economic realities, I guess you could say the brave new Covid-19 world, render that out of reach in the short run. Economies rebound, they always do, but this rebound is clearly not going to be on our company's timetable...