SVN / Certificate

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ron Horn

SVN / Certificate

Unread post by Ron Horn »

Are these two options equal? So if I uncheck Save it's just temporary?
svn-certificate.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: SVN / Certificate

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ron,

These are two different things. The authentication data is your user name and password for the project and has nothing to do with the certificate, at least not directly. Checking that box simply means that you won't be asked for your name and password again for that project. The certificate is separate. So if you checked the authentication data box but then said to only accept the expired certificate once, you won't be asked for your user name and password next time, but you will be asked about the expired certificate again. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ron Horn

Hmmm, I don't have a name/password for that "project". Unless "project" is the SVN repository. Which makes me wonder now, I must have had to authenticate at 'one' time when I started working with SVN via H&M - just said save creds - then forgot about it? If that's true, why would I be prompted again here to save the 'same' auth data?

The other dialog is from Tortoise, not H&M. Basically I was wondering if H&M had a similar option - accept this ONE time? I'm waiting for someone else at RiouxSVN to respond regarding the failed certificate. I'd rather not permanently accept a certificate from an unknown issuer. Unless there's a way to undo that later. Seems the certificate is ok but they just need to perform an update on their server to allow the issuer to be validated.
Tim Green
Site Admin

The user name and password are for the SVN repository. You probably just set it and forgot about it at some point.

HM doesn't interfere in Tortoise dialogs, it just passes them on. You can accept the cert temporarily with the second option, I think. Then you will be asked about it before every session.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ron Horn

Ok. To be clear, I never got passed the H&M dialog. I had invoked Tortoise outside of H&M to look at the log and got that dialog. Are you saying that if I proceeded passed the H&M dialog I would have encountered the Tortoise one? I hesitated to do anything other than cancel on the H&M dialog since I wasn't sure what I was saying by "accepting" the untrusted certificate and if I could undo that trust later.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Ron Horn wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:33 pm Ok. To be clear, I never got passed the H&M dialog. I had invoked Tortoise outside of H&M to look at the log and got that dialog. Are you saying that if I proceeded passed the H&M dialog I would have encountered the Tortoise one? I hesitated to do anything other than cancel on the H&M dialog since I wasn't sure what I was saying by "accepting" the untrusted certificate and if I could undo that trust later.
I'm not entirely sure since that's not a situation I've run into yet. However, if you trust the hoster it is generally fine to accept the expired certificate -- it's just there to identify the company you're working with, and you already know who they are. Expiry like this happens a lot, particularly now that certificates don't last as long as they used to, and it's generally just an oversight that gets fixed quickly. You could contact your hoster and ask them to confirm that they're going to renew their certificate beforehand if you wish.
Regards,

Private support:
Ron Horn

Ok. I've contacted them. I'd rather not "permanently" accept an unrecognized certificate. Tortoise offers the "temporary" ok or a "permanent" one. I was just wondering what H&M was doing internally. For the time being, I'm just doing the sync/commits outside of H&M.