Resolve Repository Styles

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ron Horn

Resolve Repository Styles

Unread post by Ron Horn »

Please help me interpret this. We use a Style repository for styles and snippets. I think the scenario was someone added this new style, then when I pulled down those changes from SVN and opened the book, I got the dialog below.

1. The style is currently in the style repository.
2. The manual is linked to the style repository.
3. Why is the style listed in the dialog below as a 'removed' repository style?

If it's informing me that new styles have been added to the linked style sheet and do I want to keep them, it's asking in a very confusing way. Besides, I thought the purpose of a shared style was such that linked books would automatically have access to them. Not that I'd have to accept/keep them as they were added.
Resolve Styles.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron Horn

Re: Resolve Repository Styles

"This dialog appears when you unlink a repository from a project or switch your project's repository association from one repository to another one."

Regarding that, I don't think either condition happened. The project has been linked to the same repository since we set it up. It's just that one person added a style to the common repository last week.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ron,

The background reason for all this is that the repository styles must also exist in your project. Otherwise you wouldn't have access to them at all if the repository wasn't available, which can easily happen in networked systems. So when a change happens in the repository it needs to be synchronized with the local copy in the project.

It's not possible to say directly what exactly triggered this change here, but the change must be there, otherwise the dialog couldn't appear. Your colleague must have made a change that made it at least look as if the style had been removed. This could be changing its position in the style hierarchy, accidentally deleting it and then recreating it, changing its name and possibly other things I haven't thought of.

You would have to look in the repository itself to see what is going on there. For example, in your screenshot the style seems to be called "Code Example with Backgroun" without a "d" at the end. Check in your project by clicking in text formatted with that style. Does the name that appears in the Style Selector have a "d" at the end or not? Then look in the repository: Has your colleague updated the style name to include the "d"?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ron Horn

Yeah I noticed and wondered about the "d". But the common repo uses the same name for the style. Maybe 'some' other characteristic was 'changed' that flagged it. But suggesting that it was "removed" when it's still in the common style sheet is confusing.