Accessible PDF

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Gunilla_Svanfeldt

Accessible PDF

Unread post by Gunilla_Svanfeldt »

Hi,
I need to make the PDF accessible to braille readers and similar. Is that possible, and in that case, how?

Thanks in advance.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Accessible PDF

Unread post by Tim Green »

Section 508 compliance for PDF is still on the Wish List. It is partially implemented but not yet activated because it is not working correctly yet, due to problems in the PDF engine. We are still working with the PDF engine programmers to resolve these issues and will activate the support for this as soon as the issues are resolved.

You can find our page on section 508 compliance (accessibility) here:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/products_ ... ility.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Gunilla_Svanfeldt

Unread post by Gunilla_Svanfeldt »

Ok, that explains it.
Do you have a time frame for fixing this issue?

How can I be notified when (if) you have implemented accessible pdfs?
I didn't manage to decipher your page about accessibility. :? Which requirement is about accessible pdfs?
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Sorry, this answer is not correct. There is no section 508 for PDFs in particular, but accessible PDFs are in the format PDF/A. This is supported in Help+Manual. You can set this option in Config > Publishing Options > PDF > PDF Options. the "PDF/A Mode" is what you need.

Help+Manual supports PDF/A-1 (level A) and PDF/A-2 (level B). PDF/A-3 is not supported. For an accessible PDF that complies with section 508 you typically need PDF/A level A (or 1). That also means that encryption is disabled and all fonts must be embedded. If a font cannot be embedded, you must not use it for PDF/A. It might be necessary to change and simplify the typography of your documentation.

For more details on PDF/A see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF/A
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH