Change captions from heading

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Hans van Nek

Change captions from heading

Unread post by Hans van Nek »

I want ( Automatically, with some programming) change all the captions to the current headings. Where can I find the captions? Thanks in advance.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Change captions from heading

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Hans,
I want ( Automatically, with some programming) change all the captions to the current headings.
That's unclear, unfortunately. What do you mean by "captions" and "headings" here? Where? In Help+Manual or in an output format? And in both cases, where exactly? Both words can be used to refer to many, many different things... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Hans van Nek

Ok. Try to be more clear.

You can edit the caption of a topic and you can edit the heading.

From the manual (Creating New Topics in the TOC)

"Initially the header of the topic above the editing area will be identical to the caption. If you edit the caption in the TOC the header will change with the caption. However, if you edit the header this will turn off the "link" between the caption and the header. Any changes made to the caption after this will no longer be reflected in the header."

Our headings are defined in the data dictionary. and we want to be sure that the headings in our data dictionary are exactly the same as the headings in Help&Manual.
But not only that, we also would like the caption to be exactly the same as the headings. That makes the maintenance of the Help file far easier, and also the references display the right name.

We can find the heading in the topics xml files, and can replace it with the right heading. But it is unclear where the caption of the topic is located.
Each of our manuals has one list of topics.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Hans,

The TOC captions are stored in the TOC files, which are in the /Maps folder in your project folder. This is accessible directly if you are using the uncompressed format for working on your projects, which you should because it is more secure and more capable. If you need to save in the uncompressed format select Save As.. in the File menu, choose the uncompressed format option and save in an empty folder. You can add your additional folders for graphics etc. after this. (You may need to change the folder references in Configuration > Common Properties > Project Search Path when you do this.)

The TOC files (there is only one if you only have one TOC) are plain text XML files that can be edited directly so long as you don't change any of the XML syntax, which is 100% strict.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Hans van Nek

Thank you. That solved my problem.