Delete unused Topic / SVN

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ron Horn

Delete unused Topic / SVN

Unread post by Ron Horn »

So I have an old topic file that's not in the TOC. Webhelp spits out an error so I should delete it to clean that up.

Deleting the topic allows Webhelp to publish without error. But even though the file is removed from H&M AND disk, SVN brings it back down because H&M didn't really delete it from SVN.

Working as designed?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Delete unused Topic / SVN

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ron,

That would be a glitch in the SVN sync. If it persists, exit Help+Manual and use the delete option in the Tortoise controls in Windows Explorer (via the right-click context menu). Select the file, then use Tortoise SVN > Delete and that should solve the problem.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ron Horn

Unread post by Ron Horn »

Yeah, that's what I usually end up doing. External SVN delete. I don't think I've ever seen H&M do the SVN delete itself. Is it supposed to?

We don't do it often but initially we were removing other files from H&M projects, but then realized we had to use external SVN to actually remove it from there.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ron,

Deletion shouldn't actually be a problem when performed from within HM. It sounds like it might be an SVN configuration problem. I'm going to check on this with our SVN engineer and I'll get back to you on it.

In the meantime one thing you could try would be to pull a new working copy in a new folder. Then try creating a topic there, synchronizing and then deleting it and synchronizing again to see if it is working correctly in the fresh copy. If that works OK it would indicate a problem with the working copy.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.