Command Line Batch Build HelpXplain Error

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Sheri Steeves

Command Line Batch Build HelpXplain Error

Unread post by Sheri Steeves »

I'm setting up a command line build and get the following error when publishing.

[Error] HelpXplain command line compiler not found. Cannot publish file "Change-Default-Profile-RAS.xplain".

I've added the following paths when my batch file is run:

set HM="%ProgramFiles(x86)%\EC Software\HelpAndManual8;%ProgramFiles(x86)%\EC Software\HelpAndManual8\xplaincmd"
set PATH=%PATH%;%HM%

My command line is this:
helpman.exe "..\printer12.hmxp" /EBOOK=.\pnepdf\printer12.ewriter /I=EBOOK,HTML,RASTER_GUIDE /O=.\pnepdf\Templates\Minimalist_Plain_White_eWriter.hmskin /L=.\pnepdf\BuildLogs\Userguide_EBOOK.log

I'm using batch files as I can use relative paths, something I can't do using the tasks or the exported task commands.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Command Line Batch Build HelpXplain Error

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Sheri,

If HM can find its own executable it should also be able to find the HX command line compiler. You shouldn't need to set a path to that. Do you have the current build installed (8.1.0 Build 5536)?

Another thing you can check is whether the path to the full version of HX itself is set in the HM options, if you have that installed. Look in View > Program Options > General> HelpXplain Editor:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Sheri Steeves

I don't have HelpXplain, just Help and Manual 8, if that makes a difference. I'll try updating to the current build, thx.
Sheri Steeves

Tim,

Just tried again with the latest build and I get the same error.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Sheri,

Try removing the system path addition and including the absolute path to HELPMAN.EXE in the actual command line. You don't need the path to the HX compiler at all. Help+Manual will find that automatically.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Help+Manual looks for the Xplain batch compiler "xplaincmd.exe" in the following order:

1) In Program Options, you can specify the installation folder of "HelpXplain.exe" as the editor for screencasts. If this is specified, it looks for the compiler in the folder of the HelpXplain installation specified.

2) If not specified or not found, it attempts to find HelpXplain by looking for a Windows file association for ".xplain". If found, it searches in that location for the command line compiler.

3) In case that HelpXplain is installed parallel to Help+Manual 8 (in a sibling folder, the default installation folders for both apps), it searches for the compiler there.

4) If no dedicated HelpXplain command line compiler is found, it uses its own copy of the command line compiler, installed in "\HelpAndManual8\xplaincmd\xplaincmd.exe".

Could it be that (2) does lead to a false positive on your PC?
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Sheri Steeves

TIm & Alexander,

Putting the full path to the HELPMAN.exe in my command line instead of using the PATH environment variable resolved this issue. Thanks for the help.