Setting eWriter custom icon

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Sheri Steeves

Setting eWriter custom icon

Unread post by Sheri Steeves »

Hello,

I'm creating eWriter books and using a base project to create three sets of documents for different flavors of the same product.

I'm build via command line for each flavor; is there a way to set a customized eBook icon for each flavor I build?
Can I use variables to specify the custom eBook icon in the EBook visual appearance settings?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Setting eWriter custom icon

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Sheri,

This isn't possible because the icon is associated with the file type, not with a specific instance of the file. In the same way you can't assign different icons to individual Word .docx files. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Frost

Unread post by Tim Frost »

If you are building your EBooks as an EXE file, rather than an Ewriter file, each one can have its own icon, stored in the 'resources' section which any EXE file can have. But I do not know the answer to your question about whether there is a way to set the icon in a command-line option or variable list, because there is only one EBook in our build process.
Simon_Dismore

Unread post by Simon_Dismore »

Tim Green wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:20 amthe icon is associated with the file type, not with a specific instance of the file. In the same way you can't assign different icons to individual Word .docx files.
Tim's right. But you can assign custom icons to shortcuts to files, maybe that would help.
[screenshot] Custom icons for shortcuts to .ewriter files.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sheri Steeves

Unread post by Sheri Steeves »

Thanks for the followup - I was being dumb and thinking the custom icon in the settings would replace the little orange book icon in the caption bar of the eviewer.exe. I am already using a custom ewriter extension and registering that with my custom icon.