Importing Arbortext not AuthorIT XML

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

jabramoff

Importing Arbortext not AuthorIT XML

Unread post by jabramoff »

Hello.

Is there a relatively painless process for importing XML published from Arbortext into Help+Manual 8?

Thank you.

Jay L. Abramoff
FLIR Systems, Inc.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Importing Arbortext not AuthorIT XML

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Jay,

Help+Manual can only read its own XML at the moment. Your best option is to use your XML files to generate a format that Help+Manual can import, ideally Word RTF or HTML. If you can generate RTF you should re-save it in Word before importing as RTFs created by other programs are never trouble-free.

It's also best to set up the standard Word Heading 1 ... Heading 6 styles for the topic and chapter headings if you are importing from RTF. Then HM will create the topic and chapter structure accordingly. When importing HTML HM will create a chapter structure based on the folders that the HTML files are stored in. However, if they are not already in folders it's easier and quicker to create the chapter structure in Help+Manual after importing. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
jabramoff

OK. Thank you, Tim.

Just curious: You wrote Help+Manual can only read its own XML at the moment. I do see an AuthorIT XMP import option. I don't think it's relevant for this task, but are you saying that the AuthorIT XML import feature does not work at the moment?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

jabramoff wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:41 am Just curious: You wrote Help+Manual can only read its own XML at the moment. I do see an AuthorIT XMP import option. I don't think it's relevant for this task, but are you saying that the AuthorIT XML import feature does not work at the moment?
No, the AuthorIT import works fine. Sorry, I forgot that that is XML as well. What I meant was that HM doesn't read any external XML formats, i.e. those not included in the standard import list. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
jabramoff

OK. Thanks again, Tim.