Inline Text toggles

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Frost

Inline Text toggles

Unread post by Tim Frost »

I have discovered that my inline text toggles can no longer be viewed in webhelp or ewriter. They do show up, fully visible as expected, in PDF output. The cursor changes on hovering on the link, but nothing happens when a user clicks them in webhelp or ewriter. I can change them to a table with a single cell, which works, but I would prefer to have them as text. I am using the flat_blue_diamond skins in both cases.

The couple of sentences that they display are not often needed by most users, so I think this may have been happening for some time.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Inline Text toggles

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tim,

I just checked this and it's an error in an internal reference in this particular skin that probably happened during the global build process. As a result, the inline toggle script file is not being exported. It's easy to fix:
  1. Make a backup of the skin first just to be sure. Then open the skin in Toolbox, choose the Baggage Files section and locate the file hmDoInlineToggle.js.
  2. Right-click on this file, select Export and save it to any accessible local location on your disk.
  3. Now right-click on the file again and select Delete Baggage File. Confirm that your really want to do this.
  4. Finally, right-click in the list again, select Add Baggage File and re-add the file you exported in step 2.
That will update the internal reference to the file correctly and it will then be exported correctly. This will be fixed globally in the next update.

By the way: The reason that there are so many individual JS files for functions like this is that they are not loaded together with the WebHelp. If the user never clicks on an inline toggle, the script is never loaded so it doesn't create any unnecessary load time. It is only loaded on demand the first time the user clicks on an inline toggle link and then remains available for the rest of the current session. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Frost

Thanks; in-line toggles are now working. But I now have two other other issues to mention.

While testing yesterday, I converted one in-line toggle to a single-cell table. It is at the end of the topic, and when I expand it, the table cell (only one line of text) does not scroll up into view. This is a minor issue, because you can just see some speckle from the tops of the characters, so it is clear something has happened, and it will not be a problem with an in-line toggle. I have not tried this in the web help, but saw it in the ewriter.

And unrelated to this issue: in an e-book, every time I click on Larger Text or Smaller Text in the menu, the TOC panel reduces in width. I can pull it out again, but it gets really narrow and looks bad. This is not a problem with control-mousewheel, only with the menu buttons.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Tim,
While testing yesterday, I converted one in-line toggle to a single-cell table.
What exactly do you mean here?? You cannot use tables in inline text toggles. They are text only.

every time I click on Larger Text or Smaller Text in the menu, the TOC panel reduces in width.
That is by design. The entire layout is based on the rems units used for the text size and changing the text size also scales the layout. That is exactly the way it is supposed to be.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Frost

What exactly do you mean here?? You cannot use tables in inline text toggles. They are text only.
To be clearer: I moved the text from an inline toggle to a single cell in a table toggle, and thereby converted an inline toggle to a table toggle. This enabled me to find a way, yesterday, to display the text I needed. I found that a table toggle does not open properly when it is the last item in the topic and the text is a single line. Now that I have changed this back to an in-line toggle, it is not a problem for me any more.
That is by design.
Yes, it scales all the text and widths beautifully, exactly as you describe, when using control-mousewheel. But my two screenshots illustrate what happens to the TOC when I have clicked 'larger text' three times'. I can resize the TOC to correct this, but to our users (and to me) it looks ugly. If you cannot reproduce the effect when you click this menu button, please let me know and I will send you an example. The TOC also reduces too much in width when I click 'smaller text'.
2020-09-02_16-25-58.png
2020-09-02_16-28-32.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Yes, it scales all the text and widths beautifully, exactly as you describe, when using control-mousewheel.
That doesn't scale anything in the layout. It just zooms the display and is a browser-only thing.
But my two screenshots illustrate what happens to the TOC when I have clicked 'larger text' three times'.
That is not reproducible at all. Something is broken there, possibly damage by code editing. What version of the Premium Pack are you using? The current version is 4.0.4. You can see your version number in the title bar of the Toolbox utility.
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Yes, it scales all the text and widths beautifully, exactly as you describe, when using control-mousewheel.
That doesn't scale anything in the layout. It just zooms the display and is a browser-only thing.
But my two screenshots illustrate what happens to the TOC when I have clicked 'larger text' three times'.
That is not reproducible at all. Something is broken there, possibly damage by code editing, or you have updated your WebHelp without uploading all files and deleting all the previous files (in the case of WebHelp, I know you referred to eWriter here). What version of the Premium Pack are you using? The current version is 4.0.4. You can see your version number in the title bar of the Toolbox utility.
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Frost

4.03, and it is not an editing error because the same problem occurs with an unmodified skin.

I have now installed 4.04 and it still occurs, using an unmodified skin Flat_Blue_Diamond_eWriter dated 3rd August.

However I now believe it may be monitor-related. My primary monitor is running at 200%, but the problem occurs on both monitors. On my laptop (also Windows 10, releaseID 2004) the problem is not reproducible.
Last edited by Tim Frost on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Frost

The problem also occurs on a machine with two monitors both running at 150%, so probably not related to per-monitor DPI. I have also experimented with various DPI overrides for the viewer executable, without finding one which avoids the problem.

For the moment, we can tell users that Control-Mousewheel is the method to use, but in my experience this is not something that comes naturally to people; they first like to explore a menu to see if they can change the font, and they can see these options when they use the menu for feedback or bookmarking.
Tim Green
Site Admin

What version of Help+Manual are you running? It's possible that different output for eWriter from an earlier build may be causing this. Some significant changes have been made for eWriter rendering on multiple monitors. The current is 8.1.0 Build 5536. You could also try out the release candidate for 8.2: https://www.helpandmanual.com/download/ ... p-v820.exe
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Frost

I was using 8.1.1.0 downloaded 28th July, I think from a link here. No change when built with 8.2, however.

Do you have a small ewriter file I can test here that works on your own hi-res system?

One other observation: on the laptop, if I manually adjust the TOC width, it remains where I set it. On the 200% screen, if I pull the TOC out as far as it will go, it snaps back to a position which seems to be where most of the TOC appears on single lines (and looks 'right'). If I then manually make the TOC a bit narrower so that most items are wordwrapped, it snaps to the position where the words are truncated, as in my screen shot above.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Tim,

This is all a problem with the rendering by the eWriter viewer, not with the skin itself. What you describe sounds unusual and I'd like to have a look at a demo project with which you can reproduce this. Please mail it or a download link to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll look into it.
Regards,

Private support: