Publish svg to Word

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Peter Muckle

Publish svg to Word

Unread post by Peter Muckle »

Hi,

Is there an option to publish svg drawings into Word?

I understand that not all versions of Word support svg, but it would be handy as Word seems to handle solid colours in svgs better on export to pdf compared to the direct export to pdf from H&M. Plus I have a contract which requires the output in Word with editable svgs.

Thanks

Peter
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Publish svg to Word

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Peter,

Only the latest version of Word 2016 and later in the Office 365 edition supports SVG graphics. To ensure maximum compatibility with the very large number of users on other versions, SVG graphics are converted to PNG files for export to Word DOCX. When SVGs are converted to PNG the resulting PNG will have the current display dimensions of the SVG or the original SVG dimensions, whichever are larger.

This cannot currently be turned off. However, since Word has now supported SVG for a fair while I am checking whether it would be possible to change this in a future update. I'll post here when more information is available. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Peter Muckle

Thanks Tim,

An option to publish as svg or png would be really handy (on an image level basis if possible?).

I have found that an svg in Word can now be converted to a shape and edited in Word itself, which is very useful for translating labels on drawings.

Cheers

Peter
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Peter,

Please experiment with this trial build, that is explicitly beta as far as SVG export to Word is concerned:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/download/ ... p-v821.exe

This will now export SVGs to Word. It has not yet been thoroughly tested in all instances. For example, SVGs can also be used in toggles, can have captions and different alignments. We'd love to hear how you get on with it. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Peter Muckle

Hi Tim,

Thanks very much for your rapid update, that is brilliant! It has saved me so much time replacing images and everything looks great!

The only problem I have, which is not H&M but related to svgs in Word, is that when they are converted to shapes in Word the text all jumps down a step on the page, and has to be manually placed. Still trying to work out the cause of that one (just mentioning it in case anyone has any ideas or solutions).

I haven't tested it in all situations, but will have a look at some of the other instances and get back.

Thanks again

Peter
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Peter,

Here's another update:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/download/ ... p-v821.exe

It corrects the problem that many SVGs didn't render in Word if they had attached captions.
The only problem I have, which is not H&M but related to svgs in Word, is that when they are converted to shapes in Word the text all jumps down a step on the page, and has to be manually placed.
We'll look into that, just in case it's something that can be fixed from HM. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

The only problem I have, which is not H&M but related to svgs in Word, is that when they are converted to shapes in Word the text all jumps down a step on the page, and has to be manually placed.
Could you describe this a little more? We're not quite sure what you mean here.. A screenshot would be helpful. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Peter Muckle

The first shot shows the svg in Word as output by H&M

The 2nd shows the svg after right-click>convert to shape

I wondered if it was something to do with grouping, or co-ordinates. They all 'jump' down by the same amount.
Last edited by Peter Muckle on Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Peter,

I'm not sure what the problem is there, but if the conversion is being performed in Word and correct display is the SVG exported by HM, then it's definitely a Word issue, I'm afraid... :?
Regards,

Private support:
Peter Muckle

Hi Tim,

I think you are right. I wonder if the point of origin of the text is being changed from bottom to top, or something.

From what I understand, converting an svg into a shape merges the xml into the Word document, so I will track it down there.

Thanks again

Peter
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Peter,

Alexander had a look at this and has an explanation for it: In SVG it's possible for the virtual frame of the entire image and those of the individual components to extend beyond the visible border of the image. When Word converts to a shape it converts all the SVG elements to individual shapes, and in Word shapes nothing is allowed to extend beyond the visible border. If SVG frames extended beyond the visible borders they get shifted in the conversion. So it won't happen with all SVGs, only with those where there are invisible frames extending beyond the visible borders.
Regards,

Private support:
Peter Muckle

Hi again,

I have found that svgs exported into epubs can't be tapped on to enlarge in the same way that a png/photo can - is it possible to have an option to save all images as png (as per normal)? I'm using the test svg output version of H&M.

Thanks

Peter
Tim Green
Site Admin

Peter Muckle wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:37 pm I have found that svgs exported into epubs can't be tapped on to enlarge in the same way that a png/photo can - is it possible to have an option to save all images as png (as per normal)? I'm using the test svg output version of H&M.
SVG is currently output to the ePub 3 format in HM8. Whether or not images are enlarged on tap in ePub depends on the viewer. I just tested it in Apple Books on a current iPad and it works fine.
Regards,

Private support:
Peter Muckle

Ok thanks

On Android (Lithium app) it will open a png with a tap, but not svg. I put some on the same page and the png opened but the svg didn't react.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Peter Muckle wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:27 pm On Android (Lithium app) it will open a png with a tap, but not svg. I put some on the same page and the png opened but the svg didn't react.
Thanks for the information. That could be a reason to provide an option -- I'll pass it on to our developers. 8)
Regards,

Private support: