PDF or word

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

javier_help

PDF or word

Unread post by javier_help »

Hello

when exporting to printed documents what is the best formula? directly to pdf or word?

I have seen that the export to word is very good.

on the contrary, directly to pdf seems to give more problems with tables, snniped, etc. :vconfused:

thanks
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: PDF or word

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Javier,

Once you get the formatting OK you will almost always get a better printout from PDF than from Word, since PDF is actually specifically designed for printing -- a PDF file is really just raw printer data saved in a file and "printed" on the computer screen with a printer driver.

Getting your tables to work in PDF is generally just a question of planning them for the page width, which is fixed since PDF is a printed document, not really an electronic document. If the table is going to fill the full width of the page you also need to allow at least one column with adjustable width so that the table can adjust itself within the margins of the page when it is inserted in the template on publishing. See this topic in the help for full details:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_w ... idths.html

What problems are you having with snippets in PDF? Snippets are really just regular Help+Manual content. Their contents are inserted in the page on publishing and it is then just the same as if you had created that content directly in that page.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
javier_help

Unread post by javier_help »

thanks!!

At the moment I handle well with word, but I want to start with pdf.

I will follow the advice.

where can I find the help of the manual print PDF.

Regards
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Javier,
where can I find the help of the manual print PDF.
To get started read here in the Help+Manual documentation:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_working_pdf.html

When you open Print Manual Designer it has its own documentation with tutorials. Just press F1 in Designer to open it. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.