User Feedback in Webhelp

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

mehrwerk_gmbh

User Feedback in Webhelp

Unread post by mehrwerk_gmbh »

Hello,

We are using Webhelp as documentation format with a PP v3 responsive skin.
I would like to know if it's possible to put a feedback window at the end of topics? Or as a small pop-up window?
Example:
user feedback.png
The mail feedback option is not used by the customers, so we would like to try it this way. The online help is not public and is only used by selected customers.

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Marie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: User Feedback in Webhelp

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Marie,

Version 3 of the Premium Pack is no longer under development. Even if it was, adding something like this would be a major change. Among other things, it would require full email functionality in the skin itself, which would require additional server-side software, active integration with your email account and more. It's not as simple as it looks. :?

We will consider something like this for a future version but it will not and cannot be a quick solution, so there is definitely no time frame.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Re: User Feedback in Webhelp

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

mehrwerk_gmbh wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:53 amI would like to know if it's possible to put a feedback window at the end of topics?
Hi Marie,

It's quite easy to make a feedback box in a topic, if you have PHP or ASP on the server. Insert an HTML Code Object in the topic. Put an ordinary HTML <form> on there. Have it submit to a simple PHP file on your server. Write the PHP file to collect the sender's data and email it to you. Put the PHP file in your Baggage Files. It will be an unusual server which doesn't have PHP (or ASP) enabled.

If it's PHP I can post some skeleton code for you to fill in your stuff. Sorry I don't know ASP, but someone else here will do. Here's a sample HTML <form> you could use (Insert HTML Code Object in the topic and paste it in, edit your web domain in the first line):

Code: Select all

<form name="contact_form" method="post" action="http://the_web_site/help_stuff/send_form_email.php">
<table width="760" align="center" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="12" border="0">
<tr>
<td align="right" valign="top" width="10%"><label for="your_message">your&nbsp;message</label></td>
<td valign="top"><textarea style="padding:5px; border:2px solid #CCCCFF; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:18px;" name="your_message" maxlength="4000" cols="70" rows="12"></textarea></td>
</tr>
</table><p>Please fill in at least some of your contact details below, otherwise we won't be able to get back to you. We won't share your details with anyone else.</span></p>
<table width="760" align="center" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="12" border="0" style="font-size:18px;">
<tr>
<td align="right" width="10%" valign="top"><label for="your_name">your&nbsp;name</label></td>
<td valign="top"><input type="text" style="padding:5px; border:2px solid #CCCCFF; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:18px;" name="your_name" maxlength="60" size="40"></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="right" valign="top"><label for="your_address">your&nbsp;address<br>and&nbsp;postcode</label></td>
<td valign="top"><textarea style="padding:5px; border:2px solid #CCCCFF; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:18px;" name="your_address" maxlength="500" cols="60" rows="8"></textarea></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="right" valign="top"><label for="your_email">your&nbsp;email</label></td>
<td valign="top"><input type="text" style="padding:5px; border:2px solid #CCCCFF; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:18px;" name="your_email" maxlength="60" size="40"></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="right" valign="top"><label for="your_phone">your&nbsp;phone&nbsp;number</label></td>
<td valign="top"><input type="text" style="padding:5px; border:2px solid #CCCCFF; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:18px;" name="your_phone" maxlength="60" size="40"></td>
</tr>
</table><p>It would help us if you would also answer these questions by clicking the buttons. Thanks.</span></p>
<table width="760" align="center" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="12" border="0" style="font-size:18px;">
<tr>
 <td valign="top" style="padding-left:12px; border:2px solid #CCCCFF;">
   <span style="color:blue;"><i>Do you usually vote in elections?</i></span><br><br>
   <input type="radio" name="vote" value="vote_always"> yes I always vote<br><br>
   <input type="radio" name="vote" value="vote_sometimes"> I sometimes vote<br><br>
   <input type="radio" name="vote" value="vote_never"> no I never vote<br><br>
   <input type="radio" name="vote" value="vote_not_saying" checked="checked"> I'm not saying
 </td>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td colspan="2">Click this button to send us your message: &nbsp;<input type="submit" value=" send message " style="font-size:20px;"><br><br>
 Thanks for contacting us. We will get back to you as soon as we can.</td> 
</tr> 
</table>
</form>
If you want it in every topic, you could insert it as a snippet, or include it in the page template instead.

Here's what part of that looks like:

contact_us.png

cheers,

Martin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.