Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

PDF template has me bamboozled

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

MNL is UserGuide_Minimalist_BlackBlue.mnl
H+M v. 8.2.0 build 5620
Manual Designer V says only Help+Manual 8 Print Manual Designer

Issue #1, red border that won't die
I've tried everything to placate the topic text area of the Topics tab in this MNL template. It remains red-bordered regardless of what I do. Manual Designer help tells me the band extends beyond the edge and that I should "Just adjust the dimensions" until the red outline disappears. I've made the band larger, smaller, deeper, shallower, bur the warning won't go away. What needs to be adjusted, and how do I make the adjustment? (So far, I've tried to adjust it by mouse-dragging on the bounding box handles).

Issue #2, wrong size headings plus overlaps and gaps in the output
Headings in H+M Write like to encroach on body text (style Normal in H+M). How do I prevent this? Also, the space between the heading and its text is huge -- how do I control this?

Finally, the heading "Common Scenarios" is oversized. Where is the font size controlled?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: PDF template has me bamboozled

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,
What needs to be adjusted, and how do I make the adjustment? (So far, I've tried to adjust it by mouse-dragging on the bounding box handles).
The easiest way to do this is to use the arrow keys on the keyboard. Hold down SHIFT and then right/left up/down to change the size and CTRL and right/left up/down to change the position. I would start by making it so small that you can see all 4 borders inside the band. Then adjust the size until the red borders appear, then go back one pixel to make them disappear and you're exactly fitted.

Note: The width of the placeholder defines the width of your topic content. It's height defines the smallest block of text that can be kept together at the bottom of the page without being bumped to the next page. The height has become less important since the introduction of widow and orphan control, however.
Headings in H+M Write like to encroach on body text (style Normal in H+M). How do I prevent this? Also, the space between the heading and its text is huge -- how do I control this?
I think your heading variables may be in the wrong places, although I can't quite see the band labels in your screenshot. You can use the <%HEADING1%> variable in the page header (but not ANY other variables) but you must also use it in the level 1 band. Also, each heading variable must be in the band that matches its number/level. So the <%HEADING1%> variable must be in the level 1 band, the <%HEADING2%> variable must be in the level 2 band, and so on. Otherwise everything will get mixed up.

To learn how to manage the spacing you need to study Designing a Template > Topics Section in the Manual Designer help (F1). Basically, space above the text object in the band will be added between the heading and the previous text, even if the object does not extend to the top of the band. To add space below the object in the band you need to make the band higher AND increase the height of the text object extend down to the bottom of the band. The anchors for the objects also play a role here. See the referenced help topic for full details.
Finally, the heading "Common Scenarios" is oversized. Where is the font size controlled?
If that is a topic header it is controlled by the formatting of the corresponding text object in the band for that topic level. That will also get sorted better once you have your variable numbers matching your band numbers. Normal headings WITHIN topics just use the formatting from your project, as applied in the topic editor. It is only the main headers of the topics that are formatted within the PDF template (only the plain text of the header is exported to PDF).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

OK, off to the Print Manual Designer help file...

Right now, I'm a poorly prepared stranger, wandering around a new side of H+M output.

Thanks. I hope eventually to persuade the recipient of this project that web-based help makes more sense, but at the moment, only a printed manual will do. He's a bit of a control freak and is convinced that PDF is proof against unwanted random edits by other people, which is not true...
Simon_Dismore

Unread post by Simon_Dismore »

Dave Gehman wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:52 pm I hope eventually to persuade the recipient of this project that web-based help makes more sense, but at the moment, only a printed manual will do. He's a bit of a control freak and is convinced that PDF is proof against unwanted random edits by other people, which is not true...
Interesting point of view. But who certifies your PDFs as of a certain date?

At least with WebHelp if you publish documentation openly you can have archive.org take a verifiable snapshot.
Dave Gehman

Simon_Dismore wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:35 pm But who certifies your PDFs as of a certain date?
In this client's case, it's more "The customer is king" than any issue of security (or reality). He's hard working, has put together a good customer support program, but this documentation is far from a state secret. Like everyone else in the company, he wears three or four hats, leaving him with little or no leisure time for discussion.