Alt Text in version 8?

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Laini Giles

Alt Text in version 8?

Unread post by Laini Giles »

Hi Tim and co.

Is there support for Alt Text in version 8?

One of our managers has begun to focus on W3C improvements, and I've been experimenting with Alt Text. When I add an Alt text piece of code following the standard on this page: https://medium.com/@kesiparker/effectiv ... 8d98239395, it doesn't save.

Any suggestions?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Alt Text in version 8?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Laini,

Your are probably trying to add the alt attribute in the XML editor, which won't work. XML and HTML look quite similar at first glance, because they both use a tag structure. However, they are actually completely different languages -- XML isn't even a language, just a framework for defining languages of your own. The Help+Manual XML language has a strict definition, and that doesn't include any HTML. There is an XML version of HTML called XHTML, but that is something completely different again. So when you add HTML attributes to the XML, Help+Manual checks it and discards it because it is not part of the language.

You don't need to do it like this anyway. Every image has an ALT text option that you can add either when inserting the image or afterwards. Just double-click on an image in the Help+Manual editor and enter the ALT text you want in the Title: field. In HTML output, that will then populate both the title= and alt= attributes with the text you enter.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Laini Giles

Re: Alt Text in version 8?

Unread post by Laini Giles »

Awesome, thanks Tim!