Search Error

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

tchapin79

Search Error

Unread post by tchapin79 »

Hello-

I recently upgraded from H&M 7 to H&M 8. I have attempted to published 3 times, verifying that all file paths match my previous H&M. Everything appears to be configured correctly.

After publishing, I receive this error when it comes to key word searches. Any advice on a remedy for this? The only way I'm able to resolve it, at this point, is to log back into my H&M 7 and publish from there, which isn't very convenient.

Zoom files missing error: Zoom is missing one or more of the required index data files.
Please make sure the generated index files are uploaded to the same path as this search script.

Thanks- Tim
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Search Error

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tim,

This is an unusual error. It generally means that the bundled version of Zoom has permissions problems in the output folder where you are publishing your WebHelp, and is unable to write all the files there. The most common scenario when this happens is that your copy of Help+Manual was installed with a different Windows account than the one you are using to run it.

The first thing to do is to try to publish to a local folder in your own Documents directory, where your Windows account always has full write permissions. Make sure that the folder is empty before you publish, and upload ALL the files in it to your web server.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
tchapin79

Unread post by tchapin79 »

Thanks for this advice, Tim.

Unfortunately, these suggestions did not solve the issue.

The other thing that I'm curious about is this.

I recently had my Help & Manual upgraded to V8, yet still have Zoom Search Engine V7.1. Do you think not having V8 for both could be causing the issue?

Thanks,
Tim Chapin
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tim,

No, using Zoom 7 is fine, that is also the version included in Help+Manual 8 currently. Are you using the full, external version of Zoom instead of the bundled version? If you are, then the problem will be simple: Your Zoom configuration file isn't pointing to the output folder for the project. It has to be configured separately for each project, and you also need to be absolutely sure that the output folder is empty before you publish. If the folder isn't empty Zoom will also index any old files there, because the indexing is performed after publishing.

Get this PDF that explains how to configure the external version of Zoom for both standard and Premium Pack skins:

https://www.it-authoring.com/info/ZoomFullVersion.pdf
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.